Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Synovectomy Follow-Up Appointment

On to more serious matters. I had my follow-up appointment yesterday morning with Dr. Dye. It was another rainy day as my Mom drove me back to the city in the pouring rain. I was a little sad to be leaving Lafayette, but knew I needed to move on to my next stage of recovery from surgery. I wanted to hear what Dr. Dye had to say and whether my knee was healing appropriately or not. I also wanted to get back to my apartment to rest more and catch up on my TiVo'd shows. Hey, a girl has to stay up-to-date on Lost and The City, you know? ; )

We arrived at Dr. Dye's office around 10:00 AM. Dr. Dye's assistant Lesley brought me into the exam room, took out my stitches and checked the temperature of my knees. Huh? This was the first time anyone had done this before! The "temperature" of my knees? Lesley pointed a laser at each knee and aimed the red dot right on top of the patella. My left knee temperature was around 89 degrees and my left knee was 81 degrees. Interesting. This seemed to make sense to me as my left knee was the one healing and probably requiring more energy than the right one. Lesley confirmed this was normal. Then Dr. Dye came in and took a look at my knee. Very quickly he repeated some of what he told me in the hospital. He said he found the problematic synovitis under my kneecap and removed it. He said the synovitis (inflammation of synovial tissue causing pain) had attached itself to the underside of my patella. I think this sounds a lot more creepy than it really is and made me wonder how common this is and how misdiagnosed this origin of knee pain can be. I'm sure in most people, if they take the time to rest, the inflammation dissipates and even goes away. Dr. Dye repeated, yet again, that this was not the case for me and it needed to be fixed surgically. I asked him about my silly white stockings and he said for safe measure to leave them on until the weekend. O... K... 

I was given a referral to physical therapy and Dr. Dye said the next 2-3 months of my recovery is critical. I must not do more than what is prescribed by my physical therapist. I should also try not to get up and down as much as I usually do from my desk at work. He said to have someone "get the files for me" whenever possible. Anything that causes any pain in my knee should be stopped immediately. I need to stay within that "envelope of function" Dr. Dye always mentions. The PT referral said I should go to 2-3 times a week. What? I thought this was a lot, but I figured, alright, this is what he requires. I'll do my best to follow his program.

After my appointment, my Mom took me to Trader Joe's for some milk and needed groceries. We hauled everything (my suitcase, flowers, and food with my Mom doing most of the work) into my apartment and soon after she was on her way back to Lafayette. I stretched out on my couch and turned on the TV. It continued to be a rainy afternoon which, again, made it easy to be cozy indoors. I soon realized how hard it is to stay in one place in your own apartment. Each time I sat down I thought, "I need this, I need that." It took me a while to get set up where I could reach what I needed and not get up constantly. I iced my knee as much as possible and finally got online to answer personal emails and start to update my blog. I love my laptop! It makes it so easy to keep my leg propped up and type away. My knee felt pretty achy as I hobbled around on my crutches. I just kept telling myself, take it easy. I tried to do the same as when I was at my parents. Rest, read, watch TV, keep that leg on a pillow and ice. The main difference was that I had to get up and cook for myself. Even though my kitchen is only a few feet away, it's amazing how much effort it took to grab my favorite soy crisps or cut up an apple! Don't worry, I didn't starve. I've never been the type to go without! 

I was officially in recovery stage 2. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

http://lumerkoz.edu Excellent site. It was pleasant to me. http://www.comicspace.com/buspar/ intern http://www.comicspace.com/paxil/ visionthe nodate http://riderx.info/members/Buy-Vicodin.aspx wally http://soundcloud.com/buy-allegra rhetoric http://soundcloud.com/aricept strategene

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here aliraesf.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Scientific Research points that almost 90% of all U.S. grownups are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.

Anonymous said...

You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?

Anonymous said...

I am keen on altеrnate methods of tгеatmеnt fοr strep
thгoat since taking antibiotics generally creatеs othег
health care tгοubles like yeast іnfeсtiοns.
Furthеrmore, sincе just оne type of antibiotic undеr nо circumstancеs lookѕ to get гid of my stгeр, I'm commonly specified numerous different types of antibiotics right up until the dr. finds a single that works. This means I'm in аnd out of the
doсtors offіce for six mоnths οг more seeking to
сlear up a singlе an infectiοn right
after another. I аm guaranteed I'm not the only 1 around that has similar difficulties with antibiotics and i truly wonder if taking them is even worth it.

Here is my weblog: strep throat symptoms

Anonymous said...

And with all the dread of more landslides that remained with me until eventually I attained
the sea. The keyboard remains wonderful and also the make good quality impeccable.
Then there were some times when i emerged in the snow-covered segments of your pass and
into matters completely sudden.

My blog post :: League of legends hack