Monday, August 3, 2009

My New Couch

I finally bought a new couch. I had been thinking about it for over a year, maybe more. I had loved the couch that I bought over a decade ago when I lived in Virginia. It was so well made and so comfortable. I got it at a place called Greenfront Furniture in Farmville, Virginia. I learned it was much lest expensive to buy furniture on the East Coast. Half the cost we pay on the West Coast is for shipping the furniture across the country.

Unfortunately, my old couch had it's day. It was a plaid pattern that was quite outdated and just worn out. I had it cleaned once, but now it just looked dingy. I considered having it re-upholstered, but found out that would cost even more than buying a new one. It was too bad, since it's hard to find a couch with soft, down pillows and such a sturdy construction today without spending an arm and a leg. After looking around Macy's and a few other stores earlier this year, I decided it was time to finally bite the bullet. Obviously, you can tell I was concerned about how much money I spent. After my knee surgery and planned vacation, I didn't want to buy something in a high price range, although hoped I would find something to stand the test of time. I decided on a fairly standard couch from Macy's, but chose a specific neutral fabric, a more casual option than the velvet in-stock version offered. That cost me a little more, but I figured it was worth it if I am going to have this couch for years to come.

Just before I left for New York, I received a call that my couch was ready for delivery. I was surprised! Macy's said it would take 6-8 weeks, and it had only been 3 weeks since I placed the order. When I was on my trip, I called and scheduled the delivery for the Sunday after I returned from New York.


Isn't it nice? I am liking it so far. The guys who delivered it were very professional. I asked if they could take my old couch out to the front of the building when they left. I had scheduled a Salvation Army pick-up for the next day. Luckily, I don't live on a high floor in my apartment building, so they were nice about doing this for me. I gave them a big tip and they were on their way to their next stop. To be honest, I still miss my old couch a little. It was a great one through the years. I couldn't even look at it out in front of my building when I left for work the next morning. Listen to me, I sound like I've given away a puppy! I guess you never really know what you've gotten attached to in life until you have to let it go. That couch was my cushion for many an iced knee over the last several years. I hope it has found a good home.

No comments: