Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Couple of Trips to La La Land

I'm back into the routine of traveling for work. To be honest, I like it. I missed my travels when I was not able to fly after my knee surgery. It's so nice now to not have anything holding me back from doing my job.

Work travel goes like this for me: When I'm in the office, I look forward to getting on a plane and heading to another city to print a project. When I'm out of the office on press for a few days, I can't wait to get back to the office and be back into the loop with everyone! Yeah, it's a never ending cycle.

My last two trips where back-to-back weeks in the middle of September, 2-3 days in So Cal each week. During the first trip I stayed in Santa Monica, the second visit I decided to try a hotel in downtown L.A. When I was a kid, my Dad used to go to Los Angeles on business trips. I don't remember how often he went, but I do remember when he stayed at the Bonaventure Hotel downtown. I had seen photos of the hotel and thought the elevators that ran up the outside of the four towers were really "neat." My Dad would bring back the cute shampoo bottles as little souvenirs for my sister and me. I don't remember what we did with them, but I know we thought they were really cool! These days, the hotel is the Westin Bonaventure and I decided to give it a try to see what it is like just a *few* years later. ; ) The downtown location of the hotel ended up being quite convenient for me to drive to the places I needed to be each day. I would say the interior design of the hotel is a little old and tired, but they are doing some renovation. I was impressed at how nice and genuine the people were who checked me in, brought my oatmeal in the morning, or simply passed me in the hallway with a smile. Of course, most people in the service industry are cordial, but I think it's pretty hard to fake being genuine. The people who work at the Westin Bonaventure seem to like what they were doing! I think that's great.

The view from my room over downtown L.A.

My next trip? I'm off to Minneapolis next week, straight from a visit to Spokane to meet my niece Piper and spend some time with Morgan Boo. I'm hoping I can teach her to say "Auntie."

No comments: