Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Every Other Day

You may be wondering, how am I doing with my walking? I have to admit, it hasn't been a priority lately. Why? One reason is that just as I'm making progress with increasing my walking, I travel somewhere and my knee is more sensitive than usual. It's really hard to stay consistent with walking when my knee reacts somewhat to sitting on a plane or chasing my niece around the kitchen. Another reason is that I am scared. I figure it's only a matter of time before my knee flares up and I'm back to resting and icing. My mind is in a decent place these days and I don't want to be disappointed and frustrated anytime soon. I suppose this is kind of a negative viewpoint, but if you were in my shoes the last 4 years, you would understand.

That said, I'm trying. Very slowly, mind you. I'm up to 3/4 of a mile every other day and am considering upping it to 1 mile in the next few weeks. It is 1 mile every other day that Dr. Dye says I need to hit before I contact him and he starts me on some "light jogging." Over the last month or so, I've also carefully tried to take some stairs here and there to begin building up the muscles around my knee. My knee seems to be taking the extra weight better and better. While I'm not going to be huffing and puffing up the Lyon Street stairs anytime soon (if ever) I feel as if I'm making some progress. Out of curiosity, I've even tried to jog a few steps at a time. There is no pain and my knee doesn't give way under me as it has in the past. Of course, I always keep in mind that even if I don't feel pain right away, there may be delayed aches the next day. Still, I am grateful I haven't had any significant set backs lately and my knee seems to be making more exponential improvement. I'm sure that is what is hoped for at more than a year out from the synovectomy. As always patience, and more patience.

No comments: