Saturday, May 22, 2010

Walk a Mile in My Shoes

I can't say I've been super consistent about my walking. I do have to mention that my knee seems to be standing up to more activity lately. Stairs are now doable, but I only attempt a flight or two up at one time. I'm not going to run the Lyon Street stairs anytime soon! Where I used to kind of limp up or down stairs, my pace is much more smooth these days going in either direction. The muscles around my left knee are getting a little stronger and more stable.

Rather than trying to keep to a regular "every other day" schedule, I find trying to walk a mile or so 2-3 times a week tends to work for me. Some weeks I travel for work which sometimes throws off this plan. Treading on concrete pressroom floors tend to make my knee ache a bit so during those trips I usually skip my walks.

Overall, my knee is beginning to feel more normal. By "normal" I mean I don't feel very much more discomfort in my left (the bad knee) knee compared to my right knee. I figure this may change once I decide to up my activity level. When will I do so? I'm not sure. I admit there is some fear involved. My fear is beginning the slow increase from walking to running and that my knee won't seem any better than before the synovectomy. I know, there were no guarantees with the second knee scope and, no matter what, I need to get back to some kind of regular exercise. I'm thinking about trying some yoga and now that the weather is getting a little warmer getting back in the pool. One step at a time... literally.

No comments: