Monday, February 28, 2011

Shocked

You never think it's going to happen to you... until it does. There was no warning, even in hindsight I didn't see this coming. At the end of February, I got laid off my job. : (

Why me? I had given everything to my job as a Print Production Manager on windows and in-store Marketing. I loved working for this company more than any other job I've ever had. I can't say it was an easy job. I worked long hours, traveled quite a bit, and at times, brought work home over the weekend. Even so, I had finally made it to my dream job and was grateful every day to be working for one of the company's three retail brands. Over the last 4 years I received positive reviews and felt I was growing leaps and bounds as a manager and print buyer. Of course, I wasn't perfect, there is always room for improvement. I'm sure that is the case for just about everyone, right?

I was told over and over this wasn't a "performance-based" elimination. It was just business. The window marketing strategy had changed and the higher-ups in the department felt that due to this change, workload would be less. Since a large part of my job was the windows, my position had been eliminated. It was shocking and devastating. I kept thinking, why didn't this go some other way? There were 8 people on the print production team. Why me and not one of them? It's not always the last person hired, or the most junior level person. It became even more clear that sometimes, no matter how hard you work, each employee is just a number. A sad realization, but true.

I was told my last day with the company would be April 4, then I would receive several weeks severance pay. I don't know whether this was good, bad or average, but I was made to think that it was better than most. Good old HR language, I am sure. What I'm trying to keep in the forefront of my mind is one thing. More people than not have told me their lay-off experience took them to an even better place in life. I certainly hope it turns out that way for me!

No comments: