Monday, February 6, 2012

On the Road Again

I've been traveling again for work! Unfortunately, it's not as often as I used to with my old job, but I appreciate the time I'm able to get away from the office (while still working) to my favorite... you know it... W Hotels and the like. : ) Lately, my travels have mostly involved visiting one of our printers in Minneapolis, MN. I have a cousin who lives in Minneapolis, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to reach out to meet up with her due to the always tight schedule. I hope I get a chance to see her soon! I tell you, lately it feels like Minneapolis is my home away from home.

My last few trips have been in January. Yes, January in Minnesota! A coworker called it "Minne-snow-ta" the other day. This year though, same as it's been in Northern California, they've also had a mild winter. During past trips to Minneapolis, I've experienced 19 below zero wind chill factor, it's not fun. This year the temperatures have been closer to the upper 30's, here is a photo from a recent trip. Only a few inches of snow, but white and chilly nevertheless.


I've been primarily staying at the W Minneapolis - The Foshay. One thing I've been doing differently lately is that I've been exploring the downtown Skyway system. Check it out, it's fascinating! Did you know, when you're staying or working in downtown Minneapolis, you can get almost anywhere without stepping foot outdoors into the frigid weather? I've heard people liken it to running around in hamster tunnels, but find it functional and necessary for certain parts of the year. I like the idea of being able to easily get to shopping, restaurants, and even a Timberwolves game without racing from the car to indoors to avoid the weather! So far, I've managed to navigate my way past banks and even advertising agencies, to the downtown Target and Macy's stores. In the morning, it's nice to find more than one Caribou Coffee via the skyway before I rush to the car taking me to our printer or to the airport. Very convenient, I like it.

4 comments:

Berri said...

Hi Ali, I must admit I haven't looked at your blog in a while, because usually when I do check it there's nothing new. Shame on me! I'm glad you're back to blogging, and I will try to comment more often.
Love you,
Aunt Berri

shreya.j said...

Hi,

I came across your blog while looking for details on Hoffa pad scarring and chondromalacia. I have these in both my knees. I'm struggling a bit since the pain flares up post PT. How is your knee now?

Jenner said...

Hi Ali, I came across your blog a week or so ago when researching how long recovery time after having surgery for partial removal of Hoffa's pad. I have This fat pad impingement in both knees for over a year now. Have worked with physical therapists and had cortisone shots bit to no avail. I found a lot of similarities between you and I while reading your blog. I've told my husband that it's remarkable that you've made some of the exact same remarks I've made while dealing with this issue. If you told me a year ago that I wouldn't be running again by now I would've told you you're crazy. I still can't believe it and see no end in sight. I have an appointment next week with a surgeon in Dallas and I'm praying that he will be my savior.

I know your last post was four years ago, but by the time I got the end of your blog I was happy to see that you had made progress and were walking/running and hiking. Good for you! I hope you've had no setbacks since that time. Thank you for your blog. It was comforting to read about someone who can identify with what I'm going through. I've experienced a roller coaster of emotions. Good luck with running!

P.S. Your Giants ripped my heart out when they beat my Rangers in the 2010 World Series. And then the Cardinals ripped it out again in 2011. Maybe 2016 is our year!

Amy Stevens said...

Hi Ali,

Your blog was recommended to me by a fellow knee pain sufferer who suggested you might be able to give me some insight into recovering from surgery for synovitis. I have been severely restricted by anterior medial knee pain for almost two-and-a-half years now and I am contemplating surgery for it. Dr Dye diagnosed me with synovitis using my MRI films and a complete history of my problem, but as I live in Australia, I would have to find a local surgeon to perform an operation.

I have gone back through some of your blog posts but have not yet found one giving details of your surgery and I am not sure if you ever had issues with your knees again afterwards?

I'd love to hear from you if you are still active online.