Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Dreams

The good news is that I've been continuing to walk. Over the past month I have been walking during my lunch break about 3x per week and sometimes fitting in a weekend walk. I have noticed my knee is sensitive when I throw in too many lunges or side steps, but it seems to be taking simple walking just fine. Yay! Running may not be right around the corner, but at least I'm making some progress.

I had a memorable dream last night and I woke up with a promising feeling. I have had many running dreams over the last two injured years. Before last night, I tended to have a recurring dream. It was always a race morning. I don't know why, but the dream tended to be a 12K race, which is about 7.5 miles. I was excited, for sure, but there was guilt. I was walking up to the starting line knowing in the back of my mind that I should not be there, I was not ready. In each dream I woke up before the race actually started or soon after I began to run. Last night was different. This time it was a 10K race and the scenery seemed to be vineyards. Maybe this was because I have a coworker that ran the Napa Marathon this past weekend? She and I had a long discussion about the race and what a gorgeous area Napa is to run or cycle.

In this dream my sister was with me and running the race too. That didn't seem to be of much significance though. I think Meg ran ahead of me and I didn't see her after that. The best part of the dream was that I ran the race with little to no guilt. It felt like I was floating above ground a bit as I was running. I was trying to be very careful and cautious about my knee so I ran softly and slowly. In the dream I didn't care about my time, I just was happy to be out there with everyone else. I think at some point Kevin Costner was running behind me... the significance of that, hmm, well that's beyond my comprehension! I think he passed me and then I was following him. The 10K race was a two-loop 5K course. I remember beginning the second loop and runners were actually close to finishing the whole race. That is a clue as to how slow I was running. I also remember thinking it didn't really matter, I had to start somewhere. Maybe in time I would be able to run faster. What I don't remember for sure is whether I crossed the finish line or not. Hey, at least I was running and was feeling pretty good. It's progress beyond that past recurring dream! Maybe this dream is some intuition that my knee is finally getting better and I am ready to progress to another level of recovery. I hope so. Maybe next time I won't let Kevin Costner pass me. ; )

No comments: