Monday, August 11, 2008

Worth a Try

So, I'm sure you are wondering, what have I already begun to try based on the article from Mr. Ingraham? It's rather simple in my opinion, but something that had not crossed my mind at all while trying to recover from Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (or whatever other overuse syndrome that may be causing my knee discomfort). Mr. Ingraham states that even bending your legs at a 90 degree angle while sitting at your desk at work puts "load" on your knees. Interesting. He suggests placing a box under your desk and putting your feet up on that box so your knees are around a 20 degree angle (not straight, since locking your knees isn't good either) can help lessen the pressure between your patella and the joint of the knee. Well, hey... I figure anything is worth a try at this point!

If you haven't noticed, Paul Ingraham placed a comment on my blog in the July 28 post. That was very nice of him! If any of you reading my blog are experiencing any of the common overuse syndrome type injuries (PFPS, IT Band Syndrome, Plantar Faciitis, etc.), you should give one of Paul's tutorials a read.

I recommend Paul Ingraham’s patellofemoral pain syndrome tutorial.

If the link in this post does not work, try to access the information in the "Links" section of my blog.

1 comment:

Anne Findlay said...

hey Ali,
I use one of those foot rest things under my desk to take the load of the hamstrings. It definitely has helped. I was thinking of you this weekend, wondering what would happen if you just ran through the pain for like a week? Is there something biomechanical going on or is there nerve irritation? I wish I knew the answer for you. I guess your knee also swells still? I just want you to see you running again. I'm sure you don't need to hear that from me... Anyway, I think of you all the time. Let's meet up in Sept after life mellows out for me a bit. (or whenever is good for you.) Maybe we could go kayaking or something!

Keep up the efforts with your knee; I'm sure you will find the answer. I hope it is soon.
Best,
Anne