Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ouch

Haven't we all heard stories from friends and family about pulled muscles, torn ligaments, and broken bones? Many those stories are based around athletic endeavors and brave feats, right? Well, not always. I tend to hear stories based on accidents and most often they occur in our own homes. Didn't American marathoner Deena Kastor break her foot when she stepped on a sprinkler in her own yard? I'm pretty sure that's the story I learned when I saw the documentary, Spirit of the Marathon.

Don't worry, I didn't break anything as far as I can tell. ; ) Last night, I got really annoyed when a high-pitched ring started coming from my refrigerator. I have a very small kitchen in my apartment and the refrigerator is not full sized so it is fairly easy to move. There is also a surge protector plugged into the same outlet and a phone jack is directly to the right of that outlet. I struggled to get behind the fridge to reach the outlet. Once I was done (I thought) I was carefully backing out when,  whoa! Backwards I tumbled to the floor of my kitchen. Ouch! I'm not sure how I managed it, but the phone cord had ended up behind me and tripped me up. My backside was a little achy, but what I am still not sure about is what exactly my big toe hit as I was going down! It's still a mystery. This is what my toe looks like today, one day later (apologies if you are squeamish about bruises and/or toes). I'm pretty sure my toe is just bruised as it doesn't seem to be swelling up and I can move it with little pain. Still, it's tender to the touch and is a reminder to try to be a little more aware of my surroundings. 

Oh, BTW the noise did stop. I love renting... just love it... Maybe I can change that sometime in the future. That will be another blog post someday, hopefully sooner than later!

No comments: