Thursday, November 5, 2009

And Now... A Word from Dr. Dye

I am incredibly behind on blogging. I heard an interesting statistic the other day that 95% of web blogs have been abandoned! Can you believe that? I have a hard time believing it is true since so many people I know keep blogs, whether they are family or business related. I do understand that sometimes life gets in the way and it's hard to post something new very often. I'm in that place right now.

I thought I would write a quick update on my last appointment with Dr. Dye, about 3 weeks ago. He told me he would like me to get on my bike. No, not outside, just some easy spinning on my trainer indoors. He said I should begin with cycling 10 minutes every other day, then building up by 5 minutes per week. Of course, this is if my knee can handle it. Dr. Dye told me he would like me to be up to 30 minutes every other day by the time I have my next follow-up with him in early December. My immediate reaction was that it seems like a dream. I could possibly get that much exercise? No way! Hard to fathom at this point in my saga.

So I began 3 weeks ago... how did it go? Okay, sort of. The truth is I'm still at 10 minutes. Not because my knee seems to be reacting to the cycling, I've just been noticing another phenomenon lately. I may have mentioned this in the past, but my knee seems to be really sensitive to stress. The last month, maybe more, at work has been non-stop. I've been traveling, staying at the office late, and even bringing work home with me. Some days my knee starts to ache and the feeling doesn't seem to tie in with the days I cycle. Plus, when I travel for work it's usually for press checks where I have to get on a plane (the cabin pressurization doesn't help inflammation) to travel out-of-town. During the time on press I spend too much time standing on a concrete floor inside a printing plant. That floor is not forgiving at all. So with all of that, I've been afraid to increase the duration of my cycling.

Still, I hope to be to be at least halfway to the 30 mintes before I see Dr. Dye again, maybe even 20...

2 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

keep at it, Ali. It's good to read your update. I'm glad your blog is in that 5% that are still around!

Blowfly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.