Monday, March 22, 2010

W Hollywood - The Scene

If you've ever read my blog, you know I have a bit of an obsession with W Hotels. Last year I learned that construction on a new W Hotel was underway in Hollywood and it would open in early 2010. Some W Hotel room rates, for whatever reason, are out of the Gap Inc. price range so I just waited patiently to find out what the going rate was for this new location.

Woo hoo! It fell within our price limit. I was very excited to check it out in late March. Most W's have a contemporary, modern decor and this one definitely fit the bill. I found my room a bit on the "too-white" side, a little sterile in my opinion, but comfortable nonetheless.



The funky music, hip employees, and time-of-day changing floor mats (Good Morning, Good Afternoon, and Good Evening) near the elevators made me feel the usual W vibe. This hotel even had a little "bling" around the door peepholes. This must have been a nod to the glitter of Hollywood!


The night I spent at the W Hollywood was pleasant and great for people-watching. I could tell this was a growing "scene," if you know what I mean, and experienced it during a later visit. Let's just say Drai's Hollywood, the new "it" bar on the roof top of the hotel, was full of celebrity wanna-be's and look-how-important-I-am types. Ugh. As long as you don't take that too seriously, this is a fun place to stay. Oh, and I don't think I've ever seen such good looking valets. They must have had to submit head shots to get their jobs!

No comments: