Thursday, December 30, 2010

Versailles

I couldn't go to Paris without taking the 45 minute train ride to Versailles. I cannot begin to imagine what it was like to live in this kind of opulence in the 1700's! It almost seems that French royalty at the time were irresponsible and indulgent. I'm sure that was just one of the reasons for the French Revolution in 1789.


Arriving in front of the palace around 9:30 AM. Another recommendation by Rick Steves!


The front gate with short lines.


The palace chapel. This is where Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette of Austria were married.

The Hall of Mirrors.


This is a video I took with my iPhone in the Hall of Mirrors. When traveling solo, it's kinda hard to get many photos of yourself. Since the long room was all of mirrors, I decided to video myself walking down the hall. ; ) I'll warn you, the video quality is not good. This isn't because of the iPhone, more on that later...

A view of the palace from the gardens.

The palace gardens in Winter.

I took the long walk to the Grand and Petit Trianon (Marie Antoinette's retreat a mile and half or so from the palace). Lots of crunching through the snow, and some mud. I treated myself to hot chocolate once I got there! I don't have many photos of this area, but the retreat was amazing and full of Marie Antoinette's make-believe world since it wasn't safe to leave the palace grounds. Again, more on my photos-issue later.

No comments: