Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Wacky Shoes

Check it out! These are my new "wacky" shoes, as my sister likes to call them. In the spirit of less-is-more for walking and running, I decided to purchase my first pair of Vibram 5 Fingers shoes. They're like gloves for your feet with a rubber sole. I've read about these shoes for years in running books and from running friends and they are all big fans.

It's all about "barefoot" running to strengthen the feet. The Vibram 5 Fingers shoes are a little tough to slip on, but the snugness makes them quite comfortable. The few walks I've taken in them so far, I've noticed people pointing at my feet with funny looks. They are a little strange to see! If they were green, they would look like frog feet, don't you think? As for how they feel while walking, it's taken some time for me to get used to feeling twigs and rocks under my feet, but that's the point. All those little twists and turns are getting my feet and ankle muscles into better shape! This should be better for my knees and hips in the long run (I hope!). While walking on Crissy Field the other day, a couple ran past me, both wearing V5F shoes. I hope I can get to that point some day too!

No comments: