Monday, June 20, 2011

The Gym

I can't believe it, I didn't think I would ever do this again... I joined a gym! Way before my competitive running days, I always had a gym membership. Sometimes I was a consistent gym rat, sometimes I wasn't. When I moved back to the Bay Area from Salt Lake City, I lived with my parents in Lafayette for over a year before I got an apartment in the city. I used to wake up at 5am to be at Bally's Fitness in Pleasant Hill, CA by 5:30am. I would workout for an hour, drive home, shower, get ready for work and arrive at the BART station by 8am to commute to the city. Wow... I'm impressed with myself that I actually did that! It seems kinda nutty today.

The big reason why I stopped going to the gym once I moved to SF was that I discovered the outdoors! Between bootcamp, running on Crissy Field, cycling, and swimming in the bay, I didn't think I needed the gym anymore. Now that I've gone full circle with my injury, surgeries, and recovery, I've decided it's time to go back to the gym. I joined Crunch, a gym chain in the city and I'm hoping their group classes will inspire me to try something new. More than anything I need to start lifting weights again. I have to gain some muscle back! It's so good for our bones and overall health.

I snapped some photos during a recent trip to Crunch on Polk Street, about 6 blocks from my apartment.

It's an old theater! Walk on the treadmill and watch a movie! Pretty cool, huh?

I love this phrase. "A good workout is whatever gets your heart racing."

No comments: