Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Good Correspondence with Dr. Dye - I

So, I've been second-guessing myself as I'm now 5 weeks away from my second knee scope. *Gulp* Dr. Dye's assistant gave me his email address before Christmas and was basically staring at it since thinking about the questions I want to ask him. It's taken me weeks to finally write. I'm happy to say I had some quick, efficient email correspondences a few days ago.

Here is my first email to Dr. Dye:

Dear Dr. Dye,

I have scheduled my left knee Synovectomy for Feb. 11, 2009, a little over a month from now. I have some questions prior to my surgery.

1) Now that I set the date of my surgery, I'm suddenly second-guessing myself. I asked many questions during our last follow-up appointment back in October, but since a few months have passed I need to ask again. I have been suffering from my left knee pain for almost 3 years and this will be my second attempt at arthroscopic surgery. The last one did not help although did not make the pain worse. Based on how long I have been sidelined from this overuse injury, will it ever go away on it's own without surgery? I'm sorry I have to ask. I remember you mentioning if the inflammation is not removed, it will eventually start breaking down cartilage in my knee. That sounds like reason enough to get in there to me, but I just want to make sure I have all the information. I do not take any kind of surgery lightly.

2) I am taking 10 days off work after my scope, as you recommend. That said, I travel every few weeks for work. Is there a certain amount of time you advise that I should not get on an airplane? Little leg room and changing air pressure can cause some stiffness in my knee once I have arrived at my destination. I wouldn't want this to hinder my recovery, but I do need to plan ahead in case a colleague will need to help cover some of my travel for a short time.

3) Will I receive additional information on the post-surgery recovery plan before my scope? I have your instructions in icing and rest, but I'm curious about physical therapy and how quickly that will need to ensue. I had a hard time setting up my PT appointments last time around (had to wait awhile before I could start), so I wonder if I should set up my initial appointments now. Please let me know if there are any specific PT's you prefer I see.

Thank you for your time.

Best,
Alexandra Bottomley

Dr. Dye's answer:

Alexandra,

1) It's doubtful this will get better on its' own with the symptoms lasting this long. The source of your pain is no doubt, multi factorial -- the synovitis component is one which can be safely addressed with gentle surgery like we are planning. The idea is to clear out a roadblock that is delaying your knees' ability to restore homeostasis - heal itself.

2) I would recommend not traveling by plane for 4-6 weeks.

3) You could go ahead and make an initial Post Operative physical therapy appt with the the PT dept at this campus (who know well my philosophy) on the Wed following your surgery (Feb 18th) call 600 ----.

If you have any more questions , please re-contact me.

Dr. Dye

No comments: