Saturday, January 17, 2009

I'm Confused

Why is it now that my knee suddenly feels better? I just don't get it. Over the last 2 weeks I've been running and riding my bike on my trainer. Before I started the new exercise I figured, why not? What harm will it do? Sure, maybe my knee would flare up a bit, big deal! Been there, done that. Since January 2 I have been running three times, for about 30 minutes each time, with a little walking to warm up and warm down. I have also hopped on my trainer at home twice. My poor bike! The tires were flat and the battery in my bike computer was dead. No matter. I pumped up the tires with air and just used the clock to cycle at a comfortable pace for 30-35 minutes. Stretching was included after each workout, as well as the normal icing.

It's the strangest thing. I have felt a few aches in my knee, but nothing even close to what I have felt before. In the past there has been the kind of aching and burning that makes it clear, it's time to stop and rest. Don't get me wrong. My knee doesn't feel like it has totally healed. It still feels different than my right knee. My left knee is still a little swollen, as typical. It swells up a bit more after a workout, but so far there has been no pain.

If I could predict anything, it would be that it's only a matter of time. Yes, maybe right now I can do more than I have over the past two and a half years. Yes, maybe even my Mom's theory is correct. She thinks that one day my knee will heal on it's own it's just taking much longer than I ever wanted it to take. My guess is that my knee will start to hurt soon. The swelling means to me that the inflammation is still in there and will no go away without a Dr. taking it out. Of course I am considering canceling my surgery, I am really confused. If I cancel my surgery, I'm afraid my knee will flare up the week after Feb 11 (the date of my scope). The thing that scares me most is that Dr. Dye said I cannot leave a long-term inflammation in my knee. Eventually, it will start breaking down the cartilage inside. That would make things much worse in the long run, right? Life sure is confusing sometimes. 

No comments: