Saturday, January 5, 2008

Good News

Yipee! I have to state that I worked out three times this week (yes three times!). I did my outdoor boot camp on Monday, then I went to the gym on Thursday after work and once again this afternoon. It's been windy and raining, so outdoors is not all that appealing for exercise. So far, my knee feels OK. I don't know if I found the right workout for me, or maybe my knee is finally healing. Who knows... I'm just glad I can get in some decent exercise. I'm not running, but I'm getting in a small amount of cardio with 10 - 15 minutes cycling or walking, then I complete a circuit of strength training exercises. When outside, I've brought along my resistance band and made use of the benches and fences along the way for arm and leg strengthening. At the gym, I make use of the weights and weight machines. What I've really loved is doing traveling lunges again! Crazy, I know I never thought I would love lunges. When you can't do them for a year and a half, you actually realize how great they are for you. It was my last PT appointment back in December that I learned my knee could take them. Yeah! Lunges are good for SO many things. Quads, glutes, and hamstrings. They even ward off cellulite... nice. I've been sore for days, but a good kind of sore of course. I've also added in some "core" training exercises. It's important to have strong abs and back muscles while I'm getting ready to do more cardio someday soon.

I realize I may still have setbacks with my knee in the future. The goal is to move along gradually, building up to finally running. Knowing me, I will probably get a little too excited along the way. Once my knee can take running, it will be a challenge to hold myself back. I'm sure that's been some of my problem all along. Hopefully, my knee will feel fine tomorrow and the next day, so I can continue with my boot camp and weight training. I just feel so much more healthy this week. It's been SO long since I've been able to feel like I'm making progress and getting stronger again. I hope it continues.

No comments: