Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Latest - Part I

Wow, I can't believe I haven't written in my blog for 10 days. There is SO much to tell! I think I better keep this new information to a few parts or this would be a very long posting. I'll start with my physical therapy appointment last week. I went to see Susan possibly for the last time. Not because I'm not going to PT anymore, but since she's decided to change jobs. Susan is interviewing for a position in medical device sales. I wish her the best of luck and hope she does really well. Susan said she will be keeping up her license and may come back to physical therapy one day. She does have a doctorate! Before I left my appointment with her, I finally remembered to ask her a question about shoes I had been meaning to ask for weeks. I have a subscription to Runner's World and read it cover to cover every month. About every 6 months, Runner's World publishes some type of running/track/trail shoe guide. These shoe guides categorize foot arch types as high, normal, and low. Since I was a kid, I've known I have high arches. Sometimes I have to be careful buying shoes with straps over the top of my feet. If those straps are not adjustable, my feet could start hurting after a very short period of time.

To get to my point, in the RW shoe guides, profiles of people with all 3 foot types are included. The person with high arches always wears shoes with neutral cushioning. I find this confusing since I'm constantly being put in stability shoes. I mentioned this to Susan and she told me it would be a good idea for me to try shoes with a little more cushion. She recommended I move from the "stability" category shoes down a step to the "performance" category shoes that have a little more shock absorption. Susan felt this would be good to cushion the impact on my healing knee and fat pad. So, I headed to Sports Basement last weekend for a new pair of sneaks. I bought the Asics GT-2130 running shoes. See pic. I'm still using my custom orthotic inserts in the shoes, but I can tell there is more cushioning under my feet. I hope they help!

1 comment:

Anne Findlay said...

sounds like a good move, Ali. I hope they help. I had a pretty painful foot injury in the past that turned out to be caused by a pair of shoes and have to be very careful what types of shoes I wear.