Friday, January 18, 2008

Quick Detour

One quick detour from my "The Latest" story. I just got back from a 3-day business trip that took me to Atlanta, GA, then back to the West Coast to Los Angeles, and finally returned to San Francisco yesterday. I stayed at the W Hotel - Perimeter Center in Atlanta then returned to my nice hotel find in Santa Monica, The Ambrose. I had heard great things about W hotels, but had never stayed in one. My sister raved about them when she used to travel to NY and Chicago for work. I thought the somewhat trendy, eclectic feel of the W hotels may not be my style, but I have to say I enjoyed the W on Tuesday night. Here is a photo of the cute pillow on my bed. BTW, it started snowing in Atlanta 45 minutes after our plane took off for L.A!

On Wednesday night I drove from LAX to The Ambrose. I remembered it as a cozy, quiet place on 20th and Arizona. I checked in and was given my key card with the comment, "We have given you a complimentary upgrade." Nice. My room was on the 4th floor, which is the top floor of this hotel. I noted the vaulted ceilings and fan, but the space wasn't much different than the last room I stayed in. I was hungry and had bought my dinner on the way over, so I sat down to eat it. It had to be maybe an hour later when I decided to look at the view. Then I realized it was a sliding glass door that led out to this wonderful balcony! The Ambrose offers a lovely, organic continental breakfast so I was excited to get my coffee and fruit the next morning to eat it on my personal balcony. OK, it turns out the morning was a little chilly for sitting outside, but I stuck it out for a little while to enjoy the morning sun. It was a good trip! Oh, and the work part went well too. ; )

No comments: