Saturday, May 17, 2008

Dreaming Start to Finish

While I was in Spokane, Friday night I had a very vivid running dream. I started and finished an entire 5K race! As dreams go, it was not your typical race. For one thing, it was indoors. The very few people that were running the race seemed to be inside of a very large gymnasium. The race was an obstacle race of sorts. I remember running around tight turns and bounding over the top of things, trying to stay within a type of marked route. I can't explain it much better than that, other than the floor was very clearly a hardwood floor with the characteristic varnished shine. I think it was the type of gymnasium that was also a multi-purpose room with a performance stage on one end. It wasn't much different than the "small gym" (as we called it) at my high school, but this gym was not one I had ever been in before.

During the race I remember feeling good and I was so excited to start and finish the whole race feeling healthy even if it was a short one. It's rare that I feel so accomplished when I wake up from a dream, but that morning I sure did. I sat up in bed and smiled. Good feeling. I took it as a sign that I am on the right track to my recovery.

I did get out for a walk/run with my niece Morgan while I was up North. Morgan enjoyed the scenery of the trail near Meg and David's house for about a half an hour, then she fell asleep with her green frog WubbaNub (a pacifier attached to a small stuffed animal). Morgan needed her nap so I extended our walk time thinking she might sleep longer while she was riding in her stroller. After napping for about 35 minutes, Morgan woke up and started to cry. I realized it was about time for her to eat and we were still walking on the trail. It was so hard to hear her cry and see her little tears. I was afraid her Mom and Dad would be angry that I didn't get her home earlier. I walked as quickly as I could back to their house. Morgan calmed as we got into her neighborhood, but she was super happy to see her bottle. Here's a photo of us during our walk.

No comments: