Thursday, November 6, 2008

Optimistic and Proud

I am optimistic about so many things lately. I started this blog to track the progress of my recovery from knee surgery and I try to continue to make it a focus of my latest news. As I always say, I hope someday my knee will heal and I will be able to exercise like a normal person again. But my feeling of optimism does not end there and my blog is lately more about life in general. Of course, being forced to veer away from my former competitive/athletic lifestyle has been a disappointment, but no matter what happens with my knee, I'm moving on with my life. I am grateful to have a job I love that has growth potential and I am happy to have close friends and a wonderful family. I cannot say there aren't things in my life that are missing, but overall I know I don't have it so bad.

My optimism over the last few days is for our country. I'm not one to get into politics much, but I have so much more hope for America since we elected our new President, Barack Obama. I'm writing this as a person who grew up in a very conservative household and as someone that still holds onto old fashioned values. I consider myself the fiscally conservative, but socially liberal type so sometimes it's hard to decide where my priorities lie. I'm sorry Mom and Dad, but I have not always voted as a Republican. My vote depends on who is running for office and the state of our country at that time. This year I was undecided until the time I filled out my ballot. In the end, I voted for John McCain. This was mostly out of respect for a great man who unfortunately had his best time to be elected President pass him by 8 years ago. It was not as if I felt my vote wouldn't count, but this year especially I knew the electoral votes for California would go to the Democrats. Also, in poor economic times, statistically the Presidency does not go to the incumbent party. People want change and that is understandable. I am one of those people too.

My personal opinion is that no matter how a person voted in this election, whether staunch conservative, far right liberal or independent, we all should be optimistic and proud. Tuesday night, when I was watching the election coverage on television, just after 8:00 PM PST there was a brief pause on the NBC station I was watching. Barack Obama's image flashed up onto the screen as our "ELECTED" President of the United States. For me, it was as if time stopped for a moment. Right then and there the world changed and history was made. I get all choked up thinking about it. At first, it seemed that people were in disbelief. As hard as Obama's supporters campaigned for him, I'm not sure if all of them felt he could actually win. It was uncharted territory. Could an African-American ever be elected President of the United States? YES, yes he can and it was about time! I feel this historical event is not just about African-Americans or Democrats, it is monumental for every American. Regardless of race, gender, political party, or economic background, anything is possible. It was about time the mold was broken. Enough of the "white guys" holding the highest office in the land. Becoming the President of the United States is now a real possibility for any U.S. born citizen. Who knows, maybe even the "U.S. born" rule will go by the wayside someday in the future.

I'll step off my soap box now. I just felt as if I needed to comment about the significance of the last few days. It's going to be a hard road ahead for President Obama. This would have been the case for anyone elected at this time. I simply hope we all have a little optimism in our lives now. If anything, for an upturn in our economy and for the well being of our men and women in the military. It may take some time, but things will get better.

No comments: