Monday, November 17, 2008

Walking Tall

I've decided it's time to get back to some serious walking. After I met with Dr. Dye, over a month ago now, I have been somewhat at a loss as what to do for exercise. He didn't give me any restrictions, he simply told me surgery was likely the next step for me. It's up to me decide if and when I undergo surgery and that is still something I am mulling over. In the meantime, I have barely been breaking a sweat at all. Between a crazy work schedule, which has not lent to any lunchtime walks, and being unsure what I should and should not do, my focus has been far away from a workout. 

Last week I kicked off a new regimen of walking. One morning, I chose to walk the first segment of my commute to work rather than my bus-to-underground Muni routine. It took about 35 minutes and, as usual, I underestimated the hills in San Francisco. Going up was a bit of a leg burner, but going down was worse. Next time I do this, I will not choose Clay as my street of choice. A steep downhill is supposed to be worse on my knee than going up, so my route needs to be diverted for a slightly less knee-pounding path. Still, I had a very nice view of the city. Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

great plan Ali! maybe you could do the Kaiser 5k in conjunction with the half-marathon on Superbowl Sunday. I know it may be disappointing not to be running the half, but you could walk the 5k and enjoy the race scene again. I always enjoy my exercise more when I have a target...

Paul Ingraham said...

Hi, Ali. I imagine Dr. Dye didn’t suggest any restrictions on your exercise because you probably can’t really make the situation much worse than it is. ;-) It is what it is, and it’s staying more or less like that until it’s operated on.