Saturday, September 8, 2007

Back to the Pool

I've been relegated to swimming for a while. Swimming is one of those workouts I don't look forward to. At the same time, once I am finally in the water, I am really glad to be there. Swimming is one of the best exercises you can do. It improves your cardio and is high on the scale of resistance training. Pulling yourself through the water creates resistance. Good for the heart and muscle/bone.

My PT, Susan, said I should step back to swimming for a few weeks before I try cycling again. OK... fine. She said to mostly swim using the pull buoy (little foam thing you place between your legs so your legs float and don't kick) and no kickboard. She wants me swimming to get my heart rate up, but not doing too much with my knees. I'm going to try to drop in on lap swim at the Presidio YMCA today. Hopefully, I won't have to share a lane with someone that is frustrated with my slow workout. I'll stay in the "slow swim" lane if they have one.

No comments: