Thursday, June 25, 2009

Back to Business

This week I was finally able to return to traveling for work. Now I can say I'm 100% back into my role at work and no one needs to cover my press checks for me anymore due to my bum knee. Yay! It was 3 days of press checks in Los Angeles so a business trip not too far from home was a good place to start.

I flew in on Sunday night since I had an early call on press on Monday morning. I decided to try a hotel I had never seen before, just because it wasn't all that far from the airport. It was the Sheraton Delfina Hotel in Santa Monica. I had to chuckle when I drove up. It turns out the hotel is right across the street from Santa Monica High School (Samohi). When I was in high school I was a member of the choir. We went on "tour" to So Cal for a week and one of our stops was a visit to sing at Samohi. The high school didn't look like it had changed at all! It was funny how the sight of it immediately threw me back 20 years! Yes, 20 years... our reunion is right around the corner.

This was the view from my balcony on Monday morning. My iPhone camera didn't catch it very well, but this was an ocean view from a far. It was a little hazy that morning. All in all the Delfina was a decent hotel. The lobby/bar area was kind of dark and swanky, but the rest was fairly Sheraton standard, comfortable and clean.



The next two nights I stayed at the Universal Sheraton Hotel in Universal City. I've always liked this hotel. When I first stayed there a few years ago, it seemed a little dated. I was glad when they embarked on a full renovation and it's just about finished. I didn't take a photo this time, but the best thing about it (when you get a room in the tower) are the floor to ceiling windows. There is some freeway noise, but usually, it's not too bad. I liked the artwork in my room. Doesn't this chair look a little Alice in Wonderland-ish? I'll take a photo of the windows during my next trip.



I have to admit, there is something about room service I really like! Someone bringing me food to my room that I don't have to make myself or pay for in the end... very cool. I enjoy ordering breakfast with a small pot of coffee in the morning and leisurely drink it as I get ready to start the day. I don't order room service for every meal. The options aren't all that healthy (mind you, I'm not the most healthy eater, but I really shouldn't be tempted to order a "personal" pizza that could actually feed 4 people) and are quite expensive. Even if I can expense it, sometimes I feel guilty when I can get a less expensive meal somewhere else. Ordering room service a few times during a business trip is nice though and I think I deserve it. : )

No comments: