Monday, June 22, 2009

Four Steps

It was inevitable. I knew that one day I would be forced to run a few steps before it was time to do so. In the last 4.5 months since my surgery, I haven't run one step. No picking up the pace to rush to a meeting, to catch a bus, or even to hurry through a door held open for me. For the most part, I've told myself, "What's the rush?" I knew it would not be worth getting anywhere faster in the end since my knee is still healing. I've even wondered whether I would actually be able to run if someone started chasing me!

Well, that day came yesterday (no, don't worry, no one was chasing me). In the afternoon I was packing for a trip to Los Angeles for work. I decided I needed to walk up the block to the mailbox to drop off my NetFlix movie. Here is where it happened. The light was red, but I looked up Franklin Street and no cars were coming. I could see up the street for a few blocks. I decided I could cross the street safely to the mailbox. I have no idea where it came from, but there was a far off *honk* when I was halfway across the street. It actually sounded like a scooter honk, but once I heard a second *honk* I realized maybe a car was approaching. Yikes... Now, on one hand, why was that driver being so rude? Sure, I was crossing on a red (my mistake), but there were no other cars around and clearly they saw me. I'm pretty sure the driver didn't even tap their brakes. I figured the last thing I needed was to be hit by a car so I was forced to run four steps to the curb. Left, right, left, right. Or maybe it was right, left, right left. I don't remember, other than it was four steps.

There were a few things I noted once I made it to the curb (beside the fact I wished I waited for the green light). 1) My right steps were fine. 2) I wasn't surprised to find my left knee buckled a little under the weight of the steps on that side. On the positive side, I didn't feel any shooting pain. On the negative side, it showed how weak my left leg is right now. Even though I didn't feel pain during the steps, my knee was sore/achy from that point on and is now finally starting to feel better over 24 hours later. All from two running steps. Wow, as if I didn't already know, it really is going to take a long time for the nerves to finally heal and be able to take the load of running. I hope I can start building up the strength in the muscles around my knee soon. The steroid shot has seemed to help (minus the minor "jog") during the last week. That voice in the back of my head does worry it will only allow temporary relief, but we will see. Again, time will tell. Hopefully I can get back to PT soon and I will only cross on GREEN lights.

No comments: