Friday, June 5, 2009

The Purge

It's time, time to let go of my beloved subscription to Runner's World. I have the issues from April, May, June, and July sitting by my coffee table, unread. It just hurts too much to read about all the active runners and training for races when I cannot take part. I kept the subscription over the last three years I haven't been able to run, holding onto some hope that my knee will heal and eventually I can start running again. I'm not saying I'm giving up hope completely, but I've recognized I need to let the magazine go. I stopped my subscription to Triathlete Magazine over a year ago, but Runner's World was more close to my heart and I wasn't able to stop reading it until recently.

I realized it yesterday when the July issue arrived. Typically, I immediately turn to the last page where there is always one well-known person highlighted in a section called "I'm a Runner." This can be anyone from a politician, to a movie star, to a celebrity chef. I find it fun to read whether they are a casual runner, or if they have completed marathons. Last night, I simply tucked the magazine under the last issue I received and didn't even look, it didn't even cross my mind. Wow, that is significant.

I think I have the magazine coming monthly until the early Fall. I'll probably hide away the issues I haven't read somewhere safe. This morning I pulled out all the well-read past issues of Triathlete magazine and Runner's World that were in my magazine rack and threw them in the recycle bin. There were a lot of them and they were heavy! It was sad, but I needed to do it. It was a "cleansing" of sorts. Maybe, years down the road, my knee will actually heal enough to get out for thrice-weekly jogs. If this happens, I'll look into starting up my subscription again. Until then, it's time to let it go.

No comments: