Friday, July 3, 2009

The Big Apple

My last several blogs haven't been entirely uplifting, have they? No, not so much. Well, I'm happy to say that I'm looking forward to a little vacation! I just booked a trip to New York. Yippee! I've been wanting to visit my friend Sarah ever since she and her husband Peter welcomed their little boy Adam Henry into the world in March, 2008. I needed to take a week vacation this Summer before work gets really crazy in preparation for the 2009 holiday season. Yes, it's already that time again folks! I decided now is the time to jump on a plane and wing my way to the East Coast.

I'm going to New York for almost a week at the end of the month. Sarah let me know life with a toddler is pretty boring (I'm not so sure about that), so she suggested I spend a few days in Manhattan before I head up to Central Valley to see their growing family. I decided I would spend 3 nights in NYC, then take a train or bus (whatever Sarah tells me to do) approximately an hour Northwest (I think) of Manhattan to their home. I will spend a few days with them then make my way back to Manhattan for a night before I fly on home to San Francisco at the end of the week. That will give me a couple of days to settle back into San Francisco before it's time to be back to my regular schedule.

This is not going to be a walking trip around the Big Apple. I've done that before, most recently in 2004 with my Mom. We walked the streets and rode the subway to see many of the popular sites of NYC. I had recently finished a marathon, so I was still hobbling a bit, but we saw the Statue of Liberty, toured Ellis Island, spent time in the newly re-opened Museum of Modern Art and wandered around a few other neighborhoods. That trip was during December so it was somewhat cold and rainy, but wonderful to see the festive holiday lights. My Mom still teases me that before we went I touted, "I want to go to Rockefeller Center and be on the Today Show!" Once I learned we would need to be in the area outside the studio around 4:00 or 5:00 AM to get a good spot, I did a complete 180. Ugh, I am not much of a vacation early bird. We did see Katie Couric through the window when we walked by one day late morning though. We also caught a Broadway show and did lots of shopping. All in all, I thought it was a classic trip to NYC and, even though I wasn't the best travel buddy that whole visit (that is another story I'll keep to myself), it was one I am glad I did with my Mom.

This time around, mostly due to my bum knee, the tons of walking is not going to happen. The way my work life these days is always on the go, I'm quite happy for my time off to be restful. Sure, there are many places in NYC I haven't seen (recommendations welcome) that I may try to get to, but for now all I am picturing is laying out a blanket in Central Park and reading a book. Maybe grabbing lunch at an authentic East Coast deli and eating while watching the boaters on one of the lakes or reservoirs. Maybe I'll find a quaint coffee shop in Greenwich Village to blog about my trip? Shopping will definitely happen, so I'll do my best to save up some knee strength for as much shopping as I can afford. I wonder if my niece Morgan would like an American Girl doll? Hmm... something to consider. I'm just not keen on being anywhere at any specific time, except making sure I catch on the train or bus in time to visit Sarah, Peter and Adam. I'm really looking forward to seeing them and it's nice to have something to look forward to. It's only 3 weeks away! Again, yippee!

No comments: