Sunday, July 26, 2009

Exploring NYC - Day 1

I cannot say I got up early on Sunday morning. Nope, I was on vacation! I slept in and finally decided it was time to get up around 9:30 AM. Big stretch, shower, dress, and off I went towards Starbucks. Have I mentioned yet that is was hot outside? No? It was hot! At least 90 degrees and humid. Whew... I was not used to that kind of weather. Threats of rain and thunderstorms were ongoing throughout the entire time I was back East. Later you will learn it did have a big impact on my return home. Anyway, I ordered an iced Caramel Macchiato, which I favored from Starbucks in that kind of weather, and walked towards 5th Avenue. So you know, I've been to NYC before. I've done a lot of the typical touristy stuff so for this trip my plans where to just experience life in the city. What would it be like to live there? I wondered. I was intent on going to areas of NY I had not seen, but also stop by a few places I enjoyed the last time I was there. 5th Avenue was surprisingly not crowded at all. Later, I learned locals were probably still in the Hamptons for the weekend. That is what New Yorkers do over the Summer. I wandered around checking out the shops, but some where not open yet. I decided to hop on the subway and head down towards Herald Square to get something I needed at Macy's and, hey, why not stop by the Old Navy flagship store?

As you can see, I guess I didn't quite have my mind off of work... yet. I walked slowly through the store looking at the signage and took the elevator up to the top floor to look for something specific in the kids section. Yes, there it was! The locker I produced for the School Uniform Destination. It did seem that kids had pulled of the cute little combination locks made out of e-flute board, but it was still standing and looked cute! All the way in New York, I found something I had a part in making. So fun! I didn't stay in the store long, ran my errand at Macy's then looked for a bite to eat. I was starving! I would have preferred to go to a classic New York location, but I was so hungry that when I saw a Chipotle in the Empire State Building I headed in for some food and a bottle of water. Ah, so much better. Next, I decided to head back Uptown to see if more of the stores around 5th Avenue were open. It was Sunday, but I figured most of the stores there would not close on a Sunday. I strolled around Rockefeller Center and then made my way into Tiffany and Company.

Doesn't everyone have a "bucket list?" You now, things you want to do before you die? One of the things on my list is to buy something at Tiffany and Company in NYC. I know, I know, I'm sure it's a common one for women out there, but it was on my list. I walked in (grateful for the air conditioning too) and perused the first floor. This was a floor with beautiful bracelets and necklaces adorned with diamonds and other pretty stones. Although they were gorgeous, they were not in my price range. I made my way up to the second floor and found what I was looking for, the sterling silver jewelry. I didn't know exactly what I wanted. A ring I had considered a few years back? No, I didn't like it as much anymore. A pair of earrings? Eek, what if I lost one? I walked by a case of necklaces with pretty silver script initials. I knew right away, that was it! So simple, yet so "me." Love, love, love it. I noticed there was a pretty view of Central Park from that floor too so I snapped this shot.


Maybe you are wondering at this point, how the heck is Ali's knee doing? I admit, it wasn't great. As much as I told myself I wasn't going to over do it, it was hard not to. I was in NYC! There were so many things to see and do and nothing I wanted to see was close to each other. As I mentioned, I tried my best to take the subway, but I refused to take taxis, they are so expensive. My knee was a little achy by mid afternoon, but I kept on going. I made my way up to The Metropolitan Museum of Art in the Upper East Side. I didn't have much time before it closed and my knee was achy, so I headed straight to some areas of interest. I was incredibly excited to see this Monet painting. BTW, I took the photos inside The Met with my iPhone as no camera flashes are allowed. It seemed like the easiest thing to do. My freshman year in college I was assigned a typography project where I chose to use a print of this Monet painting, Bridge over a Pool of Water Lillies. I'm sure if anyone saw the look on my face when I saw the painting, they would have realized it was exciting for me to see the real thing. I sat on a bench and took it in. You see, my Mom and I traveled to London back in 2003 and they were supposed to have the painting in the National Gallery. I don't know if has been in the Met this long, but I was disappointed to learn it was out on loan and not in London. At The Met it was like I was seeing an old friend. : ) I got a good grade on that project, by the way.

Before the museum closed, I rushed around trying to find a certain statue. You how museums sometimes feel like mazes with hidden rooms? It was a little frustrating as they were starting to usher people out. I was so happy to finally find this Degas statue, Little Dancer. My Mom has a miniature replica in her living room. I didn't realize it would be so big! I wished I had so much more time at The Met. If I arrived early, I'm pretty sure I could have spent all day there. Next visit, for sure.

By this time, it was about 5:30 PM. I had decided I was going to attend an evening service at The Redeemer Presbyterian Church. A few of the pastors at my church, City Church of San Francisco, were formerly part of Redeemer. I heard the churches have a lot in common. Rev. Tim Keller, their celebrated Senior Pastor, was on vacation, but I went anyway. I made it into the auditorium of Hunter College, where the service was held, just as it began to rain! The congregants seemed similar to City Church, mostly ages 20 to mid 40's, some older. A few guys even walked in in their workout clothes still moist with sweat. No dress code there! The service was nice and I'm sure a woman who sang must have a regular job on Broadway. She had such a beautiful voice! It had stopped raining by the time the service was over. I made my way back to the W and went to sleep soon after I arrived. I was exhausted.

No comments: