Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Meeting Adam Henry

The main reason I decided to spend a vacation in New York was to visit my friends Sarah and Peter. They live in a town about an hour north of NYC called Central Valley. I've known Sarah since I was one year old, she is the daughter of my Mom's best friend from college. Sarah and her husband Peter have a little boy named Adam Henry. After many years of struggling to get pregnant, Adam arrived in March, 2008. I was really looking forward to meeting him.

The weekend I arrived in New York, I spoke to Sarah and learned two things, one good and one bad. The good news was that Sarah is pregnant with their second child (yay!), but the bad news was that Adam was sick with the flu (boo). I remembered my niece Morgan went through a particularly bad case of the flu in the past, but felt much better after a few days. We hoped all would be well by the time I got there. On Tuesday morning I of course slept late, then leisurely ate some oatmeal and read the paper in the hotel restaurant Heartbeat. I took my time packing up before checking out and took this photo. I love Tiffany blue. : )

Around Noon, I made my way to the Port Authority bus terminal. It took a little while to figure out where to find the correct bus line, but I got there early so I wasn't worried. I bought a ticket on the Shortline to the Woodbury Commons Outlets and hopped on the bus around 1:00 PM. 45 minutes later, I was in Central Valley. Sarah and Peter had taken Adam to the doctor and picked me up soon after I arrived. Sarah walked towards me from the car and before she got to me said, "Adam has the Swine Flu, you may not want to stay." Oh no! I wanted to give Sarah a small hug so I did, but didn't know what to do next. I couldn't imagine not spending time with them so we went to their house and I thought about what I wanted to do. Sarah explained what the doctor told them once she tested and determined Adam had the Swine Flu, caused by the the H1N1 virus. It has been blown out of proportion. The Swine Flu is actually a milder form of the flu, but can last longer than other common flu bugs. Of course, it is contagious and most people who die from this flu have other illnesses as well or have little access to health care. Sarah mentioned she had a guest coming to stay and the doctor said it would be best for me to not hug or kiss Adam (boo again). The reality was that he was probably not contagious anymore, but Sarah and Peter could be. They didn't have any symptoms yet, but it was a waiting game.

Sarah, Peter and Adam live in a beautiful house over 100 years old, with a wonderful front porch. Poor little Adam was past the worst of the flu, but was still not feeling himself. He sweetly sat with his head on Sarah's chest much of the time I was there. They told me if he was not sick, he would have grabbed my hand and gave me a tour of the house. So cute! After some time discussing the situation, I decided I wanted to stay the day and a half I planned to visit them, but it would be best if I booked the two nights at a hotel nearby. I didn't want them worrying about a guest when they had Adam to care for all night. Sarah said he wasn't sleeping much. I happen to be a light sleeper so it was best for all of us if I stayed at the Hampton Inn. I figured the less time I spent in the house, the less chance I would have to catch the flu and take it home with me.

Basically, we all just hung out for the next day or so. Fine with me! We ordered pizza, watched the Wiggles (even though Adam doesn't watch much TV, they are his favorite) and caught up. Sarah drove me by West Point Military Academy, a short drive away. She said sometimes they hear military practice maneuvers from their backyard! Central Valley really is a pretty town with beautiful old buildings. So much more history than the West Coast! We picked up food from a local deli and Sarah, Adam and I wandered around the outlet mall. Sarah let me buy Adam a dinosaur shirt from the Gap Outlet. : ) Peter watched Adam the second night so Sarah and I were able to have dinner out together. It was so nice to see them and I really hope I can go back soon under better circumstances. The best laid plans... you know how it goes. Baby #2 is due next March so there are more than enough reasons to plan another trip next year!

PS - Once I got home, I didn't come down with a flu of any kind. : )

No comments: