Friday, December 18, 2009

My Knee and the Latest Follow-Up Appt.

I wish I had good news to report on my knee, but I don't. Unfortunately, the cycling didn't go very well. I got to 15 minutes, then in mid-November, after cycling on a bike in a hotel gym, my knee flared up again. It wasn't a terribly flare-up, but it felt uncomfortable enough to lay of the cycling for a bit. I didn't realize until it was too late that the bike at the hotel gym had a little resistance on it and I'm sure that was not ideal for my knee. Obviously, the bike was very different than cycling on my bike on the trainer at home. Oh well.

I explained this all to Dr. Dye at my appointment with him on December 14. He seemed a little disappointed too, but urged me to keep doing what does not irritate my knee. He made the comment that many people are like me and after the surgery, the healing is very slow. As usual, I've come to terms with that as long as eventually I can get back to normal exercise.

One change Dr. Dye did make was to switch up my anti-inflammatory medication. I've been taking one Piroxicam pill each day since last May, maybe late April. He switched me to a different medication (I cannot remember the name at this moment and am not near my prescription bottle) that I need to take one pill before breakfast and second pill before dinner. When I picked up the prescription, the pharmacist told me to make sure to drink one full glass of water before I take each pill and do not lie down for at least a half an hour afterwards. Hmm... my only thought was wondering if I lie on the couch right after I take this medication that this would allow the medication to settle in a certain spot in my stomach and cause an ulcer. Scary thought. Needless to say, I'm following their instructions carefully.

No comments: