Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Boston

Tuesday night I watched the 2008 Boston Marathon I had recorded on my TiVo. The race was the previous day, Monday, April 21. Watching the race brought back a lot of memories, both good and bad. I recalled how devastating my knee injury was 5 weeks before the 2006 Boston Marathon. In my short running career, once I realized I could possibly be fast enough to qualify, that marathon became a huge goal for me. My knee ached the whole time I was watching Monday's race on TV. Those elite runners are so strong and incredibly fast! I'm convinced my knee *ache* wasn't from my trainer ride a few days before, but me reliving the memory the marathon in 2006. I remember having trouble keeping my emotions in check as I arrived in Boston a day before the race. I even sat down on the floor of the race expo (where you pick up your race bib and t-shirt) and cried. I was scared my knee would hurt so much that I wouldn't be able to finish the race. As someone who had never broken a bone or even sprained an ankle, it was a tough time for me emotionally and physically.

When I ran the marathon the first half was better than I expected. Then, from about mile 16 on, I was in a great deal of pain. Imagine the feeling of the bones in your knee grinding together. Yeah... ouch, that is the only way I can describe it. At about 22 miles, I put my head down and pushed through with no water stops (it hurt even more to slow down and start up again). I was grateful for help from the cheering crowds, other supportive runners (I wasn't the only person in pain), and finished the race. Whew, what a relief! I hoped I hadn't damaged my knee forever. The truth is, I'll never really know if I made my knee worse by running the marathon or not. The damage was probably already done when my knee started hurting in training. All I know is that I don't have any regrets. If it were any other race than Boston I would not have toed up to the starting line. I was running the Boston Marathon and that was all there was to it. I thought I might not have the chance to qualify again and this could be my only opportunity to run the race. I was running it, no matter what anyone said.

I will always be proud of myself that I qualified, ran, and finished the Boston Marathon. Even through the knee pain, it's one of those special life experiences that no one can take away from me. Would I like to run it again? Yes! Of course I would, but only as a healthy and strong runner. If that opportunity ever presents itself again, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. For now, I have my memories and a nice souvenir.

No comments: