Saturday, April 5, 2008

In My Dreams

I had yet another running dream last night. It's interesting because they seem to be progressing, not just random dreams of running. I'm not exactly a person that analyzes dreams or believes them to be some great insight into my psyche, but I have been surprised that the running dreams I have been experiencing since my surgery have slowly built upon each other as my knee has healed and time has gone by.

If you have read previously in my blog you know that not long after my surgery I had a few dreams were I had entered running races. I'm not entirely sure how long those races were supposed to be, but they usually involved me being excited about getting to the starting line, but feeling guilty that I was there. It was not time for me to run. I typically woke up before the race started or shortly after the start gun went off. I guess the guilt was too much. The last dream I had was of me running a 10K race and I actually ran, feeling pretty good. I don't recall if I crossed a finish line or not, but I woke up with the feeling I had run most of the race if not all of it.

Last night I ran a marathon, sort of. It was a marathon, but for some reason I had entered the race to intentionally run half of it. I don't know why I didn't just run a set half-marathon, but it was a dream and who knows why some things happen. I remember that I was following a friend knowing she was running the whole race and I wasn't. That was OK, maybe she kept me at a comfortable pace. There was small amount of "guilt" there, but only that I was worried I hadn't run that far in a long time and wasn't sure if my knee would be alright. The feeling when I was running was really good. I had a bouncy, happy gait and I remember I got to the 13.1 mile point and felt great, I stopped and felt really accomplished. My knee didn't bother me at all so it was a very good dream.

So maybe, just maybe, these dreams are signs that I'm going to get out there and be OK. Signs that I am ready to push myself a little harder. As always, I'll keep ya posted (no pun intended).

No comments: