Friday, April 4, 2008

I Just Want to Run

Some of you may be asking, "What's up with Ali's knee? She hasn't mentioned it lately." No, I haven't. Don't worry, it's not because my knee is hurting or anything like that. I've realized lately that I'm afraid. I'm afraid to step up the pace and really test out my knee. I'm afraid it is going to hurt and there isn't really a light at the end of this tunnel. I have also realized all I want to do is run. I don't want to get on my bike that is latched onto the stationary trainer in the middle of my studio apt. I don't want to swim. I don't want to try out "running" on the elliptical machine. Ugh, it all seems so tedious. Again, don't worry... I'm not going to lace up my running shoes and run out of my apartment door tomorrow morning. That sounds great, but I'm sure in the end that would be a dumb thing to do. Still, it's dawned on me that besides being scared, I've also been a little bit lazy lately. I don't have my teammates to push me to be at a workout anymore and most people I know now, don't even know me as a runner. I don't get questions such as, "What race are you training for next?" People used to ask me that all the time. I have to admit, I am not unhappy with my life now, I've grown into it for sure and there are benefits to not being training obsessed. That is the honest truth. But, I do want some of my former life back. Hmm... being in shape would be good!

Enough of the fear and laziness! So who's going to hold me accountable? I was sick this last week, but that is the last of my excuses. It's time to see what this knee can do! Within reason, of course, and implementing a gradual build-up of exercise besides the basic walking I have been doing for the last two months. I'll plan on walking two times next week and how about two trainer rides, 20 to 25 minutes each? Then, one 30 minute swim towards the end of the week. How does that sound? The week of April 14 I'm traveling, but there are gyms at hotels in Minneapolis and Atlanta! Maybe if my walking/trainer rides go well this week, then I can try a "run" on the elliptical while I'm out-of-town. Remember, last Fall I tried it for 10 minutes and whoa... my knee was not happy! Aching, swelling, etc. Well, time has passed since then. It's time to give it another go. OK, you all heard me, right? I better hear some comments from you to see if you're checking in on me! ; ) Thanks friends and family. Glad you are here.

1 comment:

Anne Findlay said...

yay Ali! Let us know how your plan is going. I always read your postings here even when I don't have a chance to comment, and am very happy that things are going well for you running or not. But I really hope for you that you can gradually ease back into it just because it is something you enjoy so much.
-Anne