Friday, July 18, 2008

Back Home

Wow. I cannot believe I am back home in San Francisco. My trip to Maui was just wonderful and boy, do I wish I was still lounging by the pool! I could really get used to that. Now back to the real world. I thought I would include a few more photos to sum up my trip. I did end up doing a day trip on Tuesday of kayaking, snorkeling and a hike through the West Maui mountains. The kayaking was great, on fairly smooth, glassy water. It was a great workout for my arms! The water where we snorkeled was not as clear as I would have liked, but it was a somewhat cloudy morning so the sun wasn't shining into the water as much as usual. We did see lots of turtles and one ended up about 5 feet away from me!

After the kayaking and snorkeling our hiking guide, Kahi (a 15th generation Hawaiian) picked us up and drove us into the mountains. We trudged through the tropical forest and stopped at 3 waterfalls. the first one, we actually jumped off a 15 foot high rock into the water! Looking down it seemed pretty high, but once I was in the water and glanced up, it didn't seem that high. ; ) The end of our hike provided a great view of the ocean, per my Wordless Wednesday photo.

Looking down to the water

We jumped from above the waterfall, to the left

Another highlight of my vacation was meeting some great people! I got to chatting with Tracy and Brent from Dallas, and learned Tracy and I have a lot in common. She is training for her first marathon in December. Go Tracy! They were incredibly gracious and invited me to join them for dinner the first night I met them and we got together again the next few nights before it was time for me to head home. Tracy and Brent's last day on Maui is today, so I hope they are lounging by the pool after their many island activities. They are definitely the adventuresome couple. You think my 15 foot jump was something to talk about? Puh...leese... Tracy and Brent completed the Commando Hike (Kahi was also their guide) which the climax is an 80 foot jump into a deep pool of water! That's basically jumping from the 8th story of a building! Kahi said this jump has reduced grown men to tears and both Tracy and Brent did it with little hesitation. Tracy was only the 3rd out of 45 women Kahi as taken on the hike to actually take the plunge! Very impressive.

Tracy, Brent and I enjoyed some wonderful food on Maui. On Monday night we went to Sensei, a fantastic sushi restaurant, near the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. The following evening, we savored the sunset and the food at the Hula Grill near our hotel in Whaler's Village.

Sunset from the Hula Grill

My last night on Maui we went to The Plantation House. It's a restaurant on the Plantation golf course further into Kapalua. I had heard a few people talking about it at the pool that morning and suggested we give it a try. The food was delicious. We each ordered seafood, I had a pesto crusted Hawaiian fish and we all shared Bananas Foster for dessert. The best part about this restaurant was the beautiful view.

The Plantation golf course and view of Lana'i

Tracy and Brent at sunset

Overall, I enjoyed myself immensely. I exercised, I read some books, indulged in tropical drinks by the pool, discovered new parts of the island, and made some new friends. The downtime I needed was achieved and for anyone that may be wavering about embarking on a vacation solo, I highly recommend it. You never know what awaits you out in this world! Just go out and see it!

No comments: