Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Hawai'i Vacation

Aloha! I am now in Maui, HI for my summer vacay. It's SO nice to be here. I am now sitting at a waterfall encircled cafe near the multiple pools at the Westin Maui, Ka'anapali. Why am I blogging on my laptop and not out and about? Well, this is what I want to be doing at the moment. Everything relaxed and leisurely at my pace. I've had a great morning so far (workout at the hotel gym) and the pool and beach are just steps away. I'll be there soon enough. Besides, it's not a good idea for me and my first-burn-then-tan skin to spend hours on end in the intense Hawaii sunshine. I will take it in small intervals.

I checked into the Westin Maui Resort and Spa yesterday around Noon. I have to admit, it's all been a little surreal. Sometimes trips start out that way for me, especially in a tropical setting. It's a paradise of sorts and it takes time to adjust from the foggy, city life. The surreal quality tends to wear off after a day or so. I felt the "I can't believe I am here" thoughts go away as I woke up this morning. After a few days I may not want to leave, ever!

I have a Garden Room, which is on one of the lower floors so I was a little worried my room would be overlooking the parking lot. Nope, I am looking towards the waterfall in the center of the pool area and the blue skies above it. There are flamingos, yes real flamingos in the lagoon under the waterfall. I put away my things, changed into my swimsuit and off I went to check out my new digs. Great workout room, check, awesome pools (yes, several pools), check, a couple of great restaurants, check, then the beach. Ahh... the warm Hawaii water. I love it! I decided to grab a drink and a salad at the pool side bar. Later, I settled in at the "adult" pool, the Oahu pool. This is a pool up above the falling water and next to the entrance of the water slides (oh, did I forget to mention the water slides?) that is 18 and over only. There is a great bar area that caters to this pool only. It's so convenient for tropical drinks or just some ice cold water. This may be my pool of choice over the kid rampant, inner tube crazed other pools!

I laid out for a few hours, but by then time had flown and it was 5pm. I decided it was time to go grocery shopping. I passed a Safeway on the way to my hotel so that was my destination. I wanted to get some breakfast foods, fruit, snacks, etc. to have in my room. Around 9:00 PM I went back to the bar by the adult pool, the "Moonlight Bar" they call it at night. I had a glass of wine and chatted with a lovely couple from Chicago. I think I was asleep once my head hit the pillow. I was so tired from the time difference and a big day. : )

Enough blogging... it's pool/beach time!

My room, note the pretty lei I received when I arrived

Comfortable amenities

The view from my balcony

A photo of the cafe where I am writing

1 comment:

Anne Findlay said...

Sounds like a great trip so far! I am glad you were able to get away, to Hawaii no less. It was so wonderful when we all went there back in 2006.. can't believe time has flown by so quickly. Enjoy the sun, the water and the great seafood. Aloha!
Anne