Monday, February 16, 2009

Beautiful Gifts

Besides my friends visiting me in the hospital, I also didn't expect to receive such pretty gifts as I was convalescing at my parents house in Lafayette. I arrived there on Thursday afternoon and immediately headed to the guest room (m childhood bedroom) to sleep. My parents bought a new bed within the last year and it is so soft and comfortable, one of those "pillow top" mattresses. Ah... so much better than a hospital bed! Outside of having to sleep on my back with my leg propped up on a pillow, it was a great place to get some much needed Zs.

On Friday morning, the deliveries began. I was sitting in my Dad's easy chair (thanks again Dad!) in the family room enjoying some reading after a yummy breakfast of waffles. My stomach had finally felt normal again at dinner the night before. In walked my Mom with some pretty yellow roses and daisies in a sweet smiley face mug! Also, there was a box from the French Bakery in Lafayette containing wonderful sweets and muffins. Turns out, it was a delivery from one of my print vendors in the Midwest. I still wonder how they tracked down the local bakery from so far away! We indulged on those treats for the next several days. So delicious!


Next, was another beautiful vase of flowers! This one was from our color retouching vendor, PDI, in San Francisco. It was a gorgeous bouquet of peonies from a place called Flowers Claire Marie. So thoughtful of them!


Last, but not least, around 5:00 PM UPS came up to the front door. They left something, knocked, and walked back out to their truck. My Dad was in the shower and my Mom was out at the grocery store, so I hobbled over on my crutches. I found a box from 1-800-flowers. I opened it up and found the prettiest bonsai tree ever! Who knew you could bonsai an Azalea plant? It was from my coworkers at Old Navy. I had felt so badly that the time I chose for my surgery turned out to be incredibly busy at work. We are always busy, but this was over-the-top busy. My manager Sandy and the whole team has been so supportive. They understood my need to get my knee issue taken care of, once and for all. Still, I was really touched by their generosity. I will be able to keep this plant in my apartment for some time to come. I just love it!


I'm trying hard not to let any guilt set in. It is my second knee scope after all. These sweet gifts sure have brightened my time off work and even if it was just a friend sending me a text message to check in and say hello, I've been very grateful. It really makes you appreciate the little things in life.

No comments: