Sunday, February 8, 2009

Just a Few More Days

Wednesday is my second knee scope. I'm trying really hard not to stress about it, but between the impending surgery, a very busy schedule at work, and the fact I will be taking a week and a half off work, I'm having a hard time keeping myself from moving into full panic mode! 

I have a good thing to mention about my upcoming scope. I am happy to say my friend Theresa did a little doctor's research for me. Theresa as an anesthesiologist and has worked with many doctors at California Pacific Medical Center, but she has not actually been the anesthesiologist for any of Dr. Dye's surgeries. Theresa learned he does scopes/meniscectomies/synovectomies each week and is definitely the "knee guy." I was worried she would find out something negative (I had no reason to suspect this, I just got concerned when I first learned she had not yet worked with him), but she didn't. 

Today, I went down to Crissy Field for my last run in a long time. I think it will be a long time before I am allowed to run again. It was a windy afternoon as the rain was coming in and I decided to park at the Marina Green. I took off for my usual jog where I tried really hard to not obsess about my heart rate monitor and just pay attention to how I feel. Again, I didn't bring my iPod, I just needed to work through the stress of work. I ended up running for 45 minutes, the longest since I ran Boston in April, 2006. Crazy, huh? I can't believe it's been so long. I walked for 15 minutes for a total of an hour workout. No, my knee didn't hurt while I was running. Yes, my knee will swell by tomorrow. Yes, it's a bit achy now. I just wanted to run. I'm glad I didn't, but it certainly made me nostalgic for the times I could run an hour or more 3 times a week. It was such a satisfying feeling to get in a good, hard workout! I haven't had one of those since before my knee started hurting. Maybe one day I'll be able to have more of those workouts, but for now, I'll concentrate on my scope and the long, gradual recovery ahead.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Good Luck tomorrow. Post how it went when you are able.