Thursday, February 5, 2009

Runner's World Shoe Guide - Good Information

The March 2009 issue included a Spring Shoe Guide. I have mentioned this type of article in the past as it usually includes the "wet test" and basic shoe recommendations for each foot type. This article had a Q & A that caught my attention since it related exactly to my foot issues. 

Q My daughter is one of those unfortunate runners with high arches, but who also overpronates. what type of shoe is best for her? - NAN HILL, Monroe, Georgia

A More often than not, high arches similar to your daughter's naturally prevent the ankle from moving inward excessively. Your daughter's arches are more flexible, however, and her foot type actually increases the risk of overpronation because her arches collapse a greater distance than flatter arches do. She should probably run in a stability or motion-control shoe, depending on the severity of her overpronation. Another option would be to go with an after-market supportive insole in a neutral-cushioned shoe. In fact, more and more running retailers are selling combinations like this to runners just like your daughter. 

I will be going with the second option, since the first has not seemed to work for me in the past. It's worth a try! I found this Q & A exactly what I needed to confirm something I was already considering. Once I am able to run again (this may be some time from my scope), I will purchase neutral-cushioned running shoes and use my custom orthotic inserts to add extra support for my high arches. Hopefully, this will give me the extra cushioning I need to decrease impact on my knee and rest of my body. It's all about decreasing "load" in the future. I'm still planning to walk or do short runs in the future in my Nike Free shoes, but I like the idea of having the more cushioned shoe as well, maybe for longer runs when the time comes. 

No comments: