Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Life in Lafayette

I stayed at my parents in Lafayette from Thursday afternoon through through this morning, February 17. The majority of my time was spent either sleeping or resting watching TV or reading a book with ice on my knee. "Ice" consisted of either bags of frozen peas or party ice I sent my Dad out to get in a heavy rainstorm. I think it was Friday night while we were watching TV in the family room that I became concerned how warm my left knee felt. Suddenly it didn't seem like the frozen peas were really cooling it very well. Thankfully, my Dad offered to drive to 7-Eleven for a few bags of ice since their ice cube maker was on the fritz. After that night, I switched off between using frozen peas and party ice to make sure my knee had the right amount of cooling. Dr. Dye said I should not let my knee get numb either so I worked on a nice, cool balance.

I really enjoyed my time at my parents. It was quiet. My parents were both fighting colds, and I probably got on their nerves a little (I can be a little snappy... who me?), but the wonderful meals and care from my Mom and Dad was much appreciated. We celebrated Valentine's Day with a box of heart chocolates, my Mom's famous Strawberry Cake, and a heart shaped candle I brought along. I also forced them to watch the movie Baby Mama, in which I think they were a little underwhelmed. That type of humor is not always my cup of tea either, but I was choosing comedy over drama. Laughs are good!

What I absolutely loved was the sound of rain on the roof. It really is one of those comforting memories from childhood for me. My parents have a flat roof (not sloped with an attic) on most of the house so the sound of raindrops is prevalent. As a light sleeper, this really doesn't bother me, it's very nice. I was also more content and less cooped up being inside and resting while the rain came down outside. We really, really need it as we are way behind on rainfall levels for the year. While there, I also read two, almost three books. Most of them, so far, have been pretty frivolous reads. It really has been what I have gravitated to throughout this break. I was tired my mind spinning at work during the weeks leading up to my time off that I just didn't want to have to "think" at all. Hey, is anyone curious about the memoir of Tori Spelling's life so far? If so, you can just ask me. I know ALL! ; ) I have yet another Nicholas Sparks book in my repertoire and I'm now just about done with the Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing. I have a few other more serious reads in my pile of books that I hope to get to before the week is up, but nothing too challenging.

While I've been taking it easy, I have been wearing these really fun pair of white stockings! I'm being sarcastic, of course. In the hospital I was given a pair of anti-embolism stockings. Initially, I was asked to put the stocking only on the leg not to be operated on. Very important. Once I woke up from the surgery, both legs were snug in stockings. They are supposed to help prevent blood clots from forming in my calves. This can happen when the body is sedentary for long periods of time. Dr. Dye said to keep them on all the time, except for a few hours a day to "air out my legs." Every two days I wash them and let them dry as seen in this photo. My knee looks pretty good, I think. I haven't compared my knee now to photos from my first knee scope, but I don't think it's any more swollen than expected and other than a dull achy feeling here and there, I don't have any pain I worry about at this stage. So far, so good!

Little white stockings hanging to dry

Dr. Dye's new stitches. Now I'll have 6 tiny scars on my knee!

No comments: