Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Name is Ali and I am a Sneaker-aholic

I need to come to terms with my problem... I was in denial for quite some time, but I think I am ready to admit it out loud. I am a sneaker-aholic. There, I said it. I wasn't always this way, I used to be the average runner with the usual amount of sneakers. I would try my best to keep track of how old my running shoes were and make sure to purchase a new pair before the old ones started causing me aches and pains. As every runner knows, you need to swap out your shoes at 500 miles or every 6 months, whatever comes first. I think I used to be the "every six month type,"  since it was easier consider the new purchase twice a year. 

Running shoes aren't cheap and you cannot simply choose shoes that are on sale that week. Way back, when I was the gym/treadmill type of runner, I didn't understand there was a certain type of shoe you should buy depending on your foot type. I just bought shoes that were kind of cute! Eek, that makes me cringe now. From early on in my endurance running days, the "experts" at the athletic shoe stores all said I over-pronate and put me in stability shoes, only to be later referred to even higher stability shoes. I've noted some of my experiences along these lines in past posts (January 2008 - "The Shoes," "The Latest - Part I," November 2008 - "The Wet Test" and earlier this month "Runner's World Shoe Guide - Good Information"). Over time and all my struggles over the past 3 years, I've wondered if I have ever been put in the right shoes and that I really need more cushion in my step. 

Yesterday, as mentioned in my latest post on shoes a few weeks ago, I went out and bought my first pair of neutral-cushioned shoes. These are the type of shoes recommended for people with high arches, such as me. I will be wearing these shoes with my custom inserts for a little added stability. No, obviously I'm not going to be running anytime soon, but I do have to wear comfortable shoes while my knee is on the mend. That means no high heels for me! Sad, but true. I stopped by Sports Basement, my favorite athletic gear store in the city, and got some help from the folks in the shoe department. I explained my predicament and was pointed to a few different brands of shoes, one of which was highlighted in the Runner's World article I read a few weeks ago. That was the Mizuno Wave Creation 10 pair, which I ended up not liking much. They weren't quite as cushiony as I hoped. I also tried an Asics pair (I cannot remember the exact name) and it was between that and the Saucony ProGrid Triumph 6. I settled on the Saucony pair. Why? They just felt good, what can I say? Sports Basement had the silver/green color, which I thought was kind of nice too. Hey, maybe they can be kind of cute? I'll be switching between these, my good 'ol Nike Free 5.0's and a "Mary Jane" style Nike Free's I picked up last Fall. I'll need comfort over the next few months, but I'm hoping to not look like a complete slob at work! Sneakers are not exactly fashion forward, but they can be addictive. I know. 

2 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

right with you ali... you can also check out holabirdsports.com; it's a store near baltimore that has good prices. you can order online. if you can get a good discount at sb it might be a close call

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali,

I was referred to your Blog by Paul Ingraham. Your story is similar to mine in many ways.

For two years, I have had chronic knee pain under my kneecaps, which has prevented me from playing golf, my life-long passion.

I have had two chondromalacia operations on both knees, and I have been to numerous well known doctors, and have performed endless amounts of PT, all with no success. In fact, a very famous knee surgeon told me last week that I should probably have both knee joints replaced because there is no cure for chronic PFPS.

Based on Paul Ingraham’s book, I now believe that my medical treatment up to this point has been completely ineffective and probably harmful to my health.

As a last resort (and based on Paul Ingraham’s recommendation), I have scheduled an appointment with Dr. Dye on Monday of next week.

Good luck with your recovery, and thanks very much for sharing your story, and I look forward to your future updates.

Regards,
Bill

rowleywt@hotmail.com
Novato, CA