Thursday, March 12, 2009

Back on Crutches

The bad news is I'm back on my crutches today. The good news is that my knee is feeling better. It's little tired at the end of the work day, but better overall. I have an early evening appointment tonight with Alex, my physical therapist, and she and I need to have a long talk. I spoke with her on the phone yesterday afternoon. That was the first time we were able to touch base since my knee started to hurt. She's been sick and it's hard for her to make calls in-between seeing patients, so we were missing each others call for a few days. Of course, she blamed my knee pain on the one day I spent too much time walking around. Figures. Personally, I think her exercises with too much resistance were an issue. It was probably a combination of things. I was the one to suggest I pick up my crutches again for a few days and Alex agreed. I figure it's a good precautionary measure for the new few days and then I'll lay low over the weekend as usual. Once Alex and I talk tonight, she said she plans to call Dr. Dye so we can all agree on my care moving forward. Good. Maybe that should have been done already? In a perfect world, I suppose. Reality shows we only have a meeting of the minds in crisis. That's too bad and I hope my recovery is not in jeopardy. Time will tell.

Also, another bit of good news... I'm now able to park in the lot across from our building at work! I'm supposed to keep it on the "down low" since someone I work with was able to finagle
a deal with our security team for the next 30 days. This is not typically allowed, which surprised me. I'm sure there are other people in my office who may need special exceptions for temporary parking due to injury or illness. Interesting, I guess it's just "who-you-know" and I got lucky. After the 30 days, I may bite the bullet and pay for parking for another month just to be safe. I'm normally pretty frugal, but if it's about my health, I better spend the money. I'm sure it will help that I won't have to walk to the bus and Muni train and get stuck standing during my commute. Sure, it will cost me extra in gas for my car, but that's OK. It will be worth it!

2 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

glad to hear your knee is feeling better again, and that your medical team will start communicating better with each other. I'm glad to hear about the parking, too. I'd get the extra month to be on the safe side!! They should be happy you are able to keep working and don't need to be out on medical leave much longer. In the long run, it benefits everyone if you can be extra cautious know.

I always read your updates and am glad you are feeling better today.
-Anne

Barbara said...

Wonderful to hear your knee was feeling better today. Hope you have a good talk with the therapist.