Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Crutches and Physical Therapy

Progress is the name of the game... Slowly, but surely my knee is getting better. Last week, I used my crutches to get from my car into the office to my desk and back, and also for longer jaunts to the cafe or meetings further from my desk. I walked to the printer and to meetings nearby. After a week of this my knee seemed fine. This week, I decided to use my crutches to get in and out of the office, but leave my crutches at my desk and be able to walk longer distances such as to the cafe for breakfast and lunch. What freedom I tell you! : ) To be able to go to the cafe and carry my own cup of coffee and cereal back to my desk for breakfast is so nice. It's only Tuesday, but my plan seems to be going well. I won't make any huge statements on my progress until the end of the week, but so far so good. I would love to say I could ditch my crutches for the last time by next week, but my guess is that I will hang onto them for another week or so, even if just as back up. As much as I dislike my crutches, they are now a bit of a security item for me. I wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere without them and my knee starts to hurt.

Physical therapy has been moving along too. I don't have difficult exercises to do, but I'm to make sure I complete a quad and hip exercise each day, as well as some abdominal exercises. I'm still on an "every other" week PT pattern, but if Alex feels my knee has healed enough when I see her next week, I'll go back to every week for PT. I'm not sure how long this will last, but I know it is necessary. My knee does feel weak and I have to build up those muscles again surrounding my knee to bring it back to the full support it needs again to get back to regular activity.

The weather is finally getting sunny again so it's tempting to be out and about and frustrating not to be able to do much. I'm patient though. Hopefully, swimming is right around the corner and that will allow me to get that Vitamin D from the sun I need (albeit with sunscreen!). They say 15 minutes in the sun each day provides us with much needed light therapy for mind and body health. Interesting, huh?

No comments: