Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Weekend - A Big Mistake

I had a really hard day yesterday. I'm kind of embarrassed to be writing this post, since I told myself I was going to follow the "letter of the law" in my recovery from my recent knee scope. What I did on Saturday was a really big mistake, I just didn't think. I really wish I had a do-over for the weekend. I learned the hard way that my knee is not strong enough at this point to be up and about all day. It's not that I expected to be able be that strong at this point in my recovery, it's simply that I didn't think it through at all. By then, it was too late.

I got up yesterday morning and quickly got ready for my drive to the East Bay. I was looking forward to getting my haircut and running some errands in Walnut Creek. My haircut didn't turn out quite as I hoped. I'm still evaluating whether or not I like my new bangs or not and that just fueled to my angst later on in the day. My goal at Broadway Plaza shopping center was to buy a new pair of jeans. Not designer denim by any means, just a simple pair with loose fitting legs. You see, I don't have many pairs of jeans (yes, we can wear jeans to work at Old Navy, casual attire is the norm) that are easy to roll up to ice my knee in the middle of the day. I found some jeans I that would work, but overall everything I wanted to check off my list on Saturday took longer than I expected. I hadn't been shopping in quite some time and I had more than one purchase to make that was long overdue. By the time I was done at Broadway Plaza and stopped at Trader Joe's, my knee was aching and I didn't have my crutches for help. Oh no! I was so upset and terribly afraid I had messed up my knee. In hindsight, I should have known I couldn't do that much walking. What was I thinking?

I made it home to San Francisco around 6:00 PM and immediately put my leg up, iced my knee, and cried to let it all out. I used my crutches to get around my tiny apartment and did all I could to stay off my feet. Once I was off my knee, it felt fine and didn't seem to swell up more than it's current state. Thankfully, this morning I woke up feeling alright. It's been a rainy day and the only thing I did on my feet was go to the drugstore around the corner for a few things I couldn't pick up yesterday. Otherwise, I have been taking it easy. I even did my taxes! Other than my PT exercises (I'm skipping the hardest one for now), I will not be putting any strain on my knee even if Alex my physical therapist intended me to. Call me a little gun shy, yes. For the next few days anyway. I'm going to be much more careful in the coming weeks and months. I cannot afford any more mistakes.

1 comment:

Anne Findlay said...

hey Ali,
I'm sorry you had a tough day. I'm also sure many people would be happy to help you with your errands. If I could drive right now, I would! Don't be afraid to ask.
-Anne