Saturday, March 21, 2009

I'm Bored

I never thought I would say this... I'm bored. Usually, my days are so scheduled and busy during the week that I relish some downtime. After a long week at work, Saturday can involve some rest time and TiVo. I wouldn't call myself a couch potato, just a bit of a home-body. I do look forward to spending time with friends and fun activities on the weekends, but I like a good balance of this and a little time to myself. It's my way to re-charge for another week of meetings and accomplishing my tasks and goals.

The week and a half after my knee scope was good, very restful. It took me a few days to stop the work details from running through my head. During my stay in the hospital I woke up in the middle of the night still thinking I was at work and the tasks made my head spin, along with the nausea I was feeling. When I realized where I was I was relieved at the prospect of the forced rest. A week into my time off, I had read a few books and saw a few movies. My head was completely out of work and even though I wasn't lying on a beach as during a typical vacation, it was refreshing. 

Now, I'm glad to be back at work and slowly getting back to a normal schedule. I have to admit, the necessary rest in the evenings and on the weekends is getting boring. I love my TiVo and reading, but there is only so much I can watch and read and not get outside much. The scenery inside leaves a bit to be desired. I wish I could get out and do more, but the reality is that I still need to take it easy. This will be the case for the next few weeks. What to do with myself? I'm still trying to figure that out. Maybe some short jaunts out and about will be just fine. An afternoon matinee (transport via bus to the theater) or a pedicure. There is something about shiny, bright toenails that cheer me up. : ) In time, I'll get back to my usual routine and I realize these few months of extra rest will be short in comparison to what I'll be able to do in the near future. Until then, I'll try to embrace the boredom. It's the necessary means to an end.

1 comment:

Amy Rusalov said...

I do not do well with extended periods of downtime. I am never as productive as I want to be - and that's without knee pain and recovery. Wishing you the best with your baby steps!