Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Physical Therapy - Day 1

I learned traveling for business is not good for recovery from knee surgery. Flying and airplane seats are rough on a swollen knee. :( I also walked around a very large, concrete pressroom floor for 12 hours on Monday. OK, there was time at lunch or in the customer lounge, but I have to say I was relieved when one of the nice pressman at Imagine Print Solutions in Minneapolis, MN brought me a folding chair while I was on the last press check Monday night. Whew... it was a long day. I was very grateful to my boss Sandy, who told me not to come into the office when I landed at SFO at 1:30 PM on Tuesday. I didn't realize how much I needed to get off my feet until I got home and crashed on my couch.

Today was my first PT session. It was nice to see Susan, my physical therapist, who is also a proud graduate of Acalanes High School in Lafayette, CA. She wants me swimming, pool running, and on a stationary bike ASAP. My travel schedule over the next week is not going to allow for much of this, but I'm going to fit in as much as I can. I realized Presidio Sport & Medicine was the right place for me to go for my PT when Susan asked what my goals are for the future. I told her my short term plans are getting back to regular exercise. Then, I said my long term plans are triathlons and running races. She asked "Marathons?" I answered, "Yes." She did not laugh or give me that disapproving look I have been so accustomed to seeing over the last year and a half. After doing a bunch of strength and flexibility tests on my knee, Susan said my range of motion is excellent for this point in my recovery. Yeah! That was good to hear.

No comments: