Saturday, June 21, 2008

I Love my Run Skirt

What? A run "skirt?" I'll explain. Today was a hot day in San Francisco. It wasn't quite as warm as the last two days. Thursday and Friday were 95 degrees! All way above our average temperature for this time of the year. I've still been fighting my cold, but I have grown tired of being rather sedentary during the last week. This morning was time to get outside. I usually have a fear of being too cold when I head out into the city since sometimes we are deceived here in SF. You look out the window and it seems sunny. Then, a few blocks from home you realize the fog is coming in fast! Well, I had a feeling today was not going to be that day. I felt like it was a run skirt day.

From afar, I'm sure my run skirt looks like a pair of black shorts. Some people may even think I'm running in a tennis outfit. Nope. In the last few years attire for the female runner has gone girly. I think the first run skirt I saw was during a mini fashion show at the expo the day before I ran the Boston Marathon. Part of me thought, "That's silly. Who would want to run in a little skirt? Who would think I'm a serious runner wearing that?" At the same time, I considered the idea kind of fun. Soon after I returned home from Boston, I headed to the local Lululemon store on Union Street and tried on a run skirt. It was SO comfortable! I loved it. Of course, I haven't worn it much since I haven't been doing much running since then. I also wasn't sure if it would fit anymore! This morning I pulled it out of my closet and put it on. Yeah! It fits! OK, maybe I'm not nearly as in shape as I used to be, but it looks just fine. I added a white running tee, my Nike Frees, my iPod, and off I went.

The first 10 minutes of my walk/run was harder than I thought it would be. I planned my typical Jackson Street route out my front door. My breathing was more labored than usual and my heart rate was high. I realized the congestion from my cold was still there and was going to make things a little more difficult. No worries though, I thought, "Maybe I'll get some of this cold out of my system." The weather was great and even a little too hot. I ran 10 minutes total interspersed into my hour long workout. I had gotten up to 16 a few weeks ago before I felt a small ache in my knee, then my cold set in. I figured stepping back to less running and building up again would be a good plan. I took a different route at my turnaround point and went into the Presidio on the way back. This route was parallel to Jackson back towards home. One great thing I noticed is that Lover's Lane has been repaved! This is a hill repeat course within the Presidio I used to do in my early training days 3 or 4 years ago. The only problem with Lover's Lane (besides it is straight uphill) was the horrible, broken, falling apart path. Now, it's paved and even. Very nice! I realized this could have been done a long time ago since I haven't been through that area in some time, but I was still happy to see it. Hopefully, I'll walk or run that hill someday soon. Overall my walk/run was very good. Wearing my skirt was icing on the cake. : )

No comments: