Sunday, June 15, 2008

Summer Vacation Then and Now

Remember the days of Summer vacation? I can still remember playing in my backyard with my sister Meg. It seemed like we were in a world of our own. Whether we climbed up into our favorite tree to play Star Wars, or if we were sliding on cardboard down the hill into the valley behind our house, we just seemed to wind away the Summer having fun.

Several times our family took one to two week trips to Newport Beach in Southern California. We rented a little house and spent time with our family friends who lived in Rancho PalosVerdes, another town in the Los Angeles area. This was the main beach time I got as a kid (Northern California is not amenable to much warm beach weather), unless we traveled to visit my Uncle David in Hawaii. He lived on Maui for over 30 years. We spent a few Christmases there and Meg and I took a vacation to Maui together the year after we graduated from college. Thinking about all of this recently, I decided I need a real vacation. First, I debated 'new couch' or 'Hawaii vacation.' Hmm... tough call. Then I thought, if I buy the couch I'll have to spend my time off work lying on it! I knew I wouldn't want to spend even more money on a vacation after purchasing a couch. I'm not made of money. It took me awhile to decide where to go, but in the end I chose to return to Maui. I cashed in some frequent flyer miles and I'm heading to the island in July for 6 nights. I'm so excited!

Yes, I've been there before, but that was the point. On one hand, there are trips to see new countries and explore new towns. These are type of vacations where you want to go, see, and do everything possible during your trip. On the other hand, there are vacations of rest and relaxation. Usually I am quite the scheduled, planner type, but rest is what I need this time around. I figured even though my Uncle does not live on Maui anymore (he moved to the San Juan Islands North of Seattle 5 years ago) it is a place that is familiar to me. I've done the drive to Hana, I've seen the sunrise over Haleakala more than once... this trip will consist of taking it easy. I see myself rolling out of bed and reading a book on my patio with a cup of coffee. Late morning I will head to the pool or beach to get some sun. Maybe I'll do some shopping... I don't plan on being a complete lazy bum though. I hope to get in a few walk/run sessions and maybe even some ocean swims. Warm, clear water, can't beat that! I plan on as few clocks and schedules as possible. Hopefully, there will be good weather, good food, and not a care in the world during my vacation. Here's a photo of the pool where I am staying. : )

No comments: