Sunday, July 8, 2007

Already Sunday

Is it already Sunday? The last few days have gone by quickly. Lots of TLC from Mom and Dad. : ) I woke up this morning and felt just about ready to ditch my crutches. I learned how slowly I move on crutches when I went to a movie yesterday. It was a little awkward and frustrating. Once I had been up and around for about an hour this morning, I thought twice. The rule for getting off of the crutches is, "No swelling, no limping." My knee does not pass either of those stipulations yet, although it feels much better than I thought it would at this point. My knee does not hurt when I walk on it with full weight. What I need to work on now is increasing my strength and range of motion by adding in the physical therapy exercises on the list from my doctor. One step at a time.

I have to say, it's been so nice to simply take it easy since my surgery. I haven't had much to do in terms of being anywhere at a given time and that is nice. Other than seeing the movie (It was "Evening," and quite good. I recommend it), I've just been reading or resting. Naps are good, very good. : ) I read a great article in the August issue of Runner's World Magazine. Very timely for me, I thought. It's called "A Healing Head" and is about staying positive when an injury sets you back. The article quotes several avid runners, including some pros. It said one of the pros, Kara Goucher, spent more time in doctor's offices from 2001 to 2005 than on the roads. The had a series of injuries, but a little rephrasing to her thinking really helped her through it. "I had to realize that I'm not just a runner," Kara says, "I am a person who loves to run." I thought, while I am not a pro, I certainly wound my identity around running ever since I moved to SF and joined my run/tri team, PacWest. It's not always easy to find something you are good at and once I did, I grabbed onto it and held tight! I've needed to remind myself over the past year or so, there is much more to me than training and races. Even though it's been hard, in a way I'm glad I've had the chance to step back and recognize that. I found a great new job at Old Navy and I've come to really appreciate San Francisco and spend more time with my friends and family nearby. As much as I want to get on my bike and ride up through Marin, or run in the hills of the Presidio, I'll take my time getting back to it. Both for the health of my knee and to keep some balance in my life. No more "learning the hard way." Been there, done that.

No comments: