Saturday, July 7, 2007

Nap Time

I'm stuffed! I just ate a wonderful brunch consisting of a vegetable omlette (all from my parents garden), fruit, and toast. Yum. Of course, I never eat this well at home in SF. ; ) Overall, I'm feeling pretty good today. I'm not sleeping that well at night since it's hard to keep my knee elevated and be comfortable at the same time. Other than that, I'm happy with how my knee looks and feels after the scope. I took my bandages off yesterday afternoon. There were 5 layers wrapped up very tight! I'm sure that is the "C" part of R.I.C.E. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. My knee looked only slightly swollen and there was a stitch on each of the three little incisions. Two below my kneecap and one on the top left side. Everything seems healthy so far. My knee is a little achy and a tender, but I'm sure the pain meds are helping too. I'm taking the minimum amount, as encouraged by the nurses at the hospital.

Yesterday afternoon and evening I continued to take it easy. I made sure I completed the gentle ROM (range of motion) movements and quad exercises instructed by my doctor. I can't bend my knee past 90 degrees yet, but I am supposed to add in more excersizes that will increase the ROM over the next few days. It's important to get my knee moving as much as possible. I've been feeling like I'm not completely dependent on the crutches, as it does not hurt to put some weight on my leg, but I am still limping. I figure it's best not to over do it, so I'm still hobbling around with at least one crutch. Crutches slow me down so much! It takes 3x as long to get anywhere and it's hard to carry anything with me. Oh well, patience...

My friend Tiffany is picking me up this afternoon and taking me to a movie for a change of scenery. I'm looking forward to that as it will be nice to get out of the house for a few hours. Still, I'm going to try not to do too much today. I'm sleepy right now... yawn. Lots of food and lack of sleep last night = time for a nap.

1 comment:

Berri said...

I'm glad you're doing well after your surgery. It's hard to be slowed down, but sometimes it gives you a chance for a whole new perspective - kind of a "stop and smell the roses" thing.

David and I wish you a speedy recovery!